c h a p t e r ♔ t h r e e

I didn't even ask at dinner if i could join my friends at the dance tonight. I knew the answer would be no. 

When i was younger, i would get my hopes up every weekend, only to have my heart crushed. This repetitive cycle went on for years until i finally learned, it would always be no. There was never an honest 'not today' or 'maybe next time' it would always and forever be no.

I would never leave this house as an unmarried woman, and thats just something i had come to accept. School, church, and public appearances, that was the life of a Don's daughter. It was a life i had come to gracefully accept but i will admit, i do have my moments of weakness.

Sometimes i dream of traveling the world with my girl friends or even things as simple as going to a cafe on my own. I know that can never be, I'm a prisoner in my own home. 

A sharp tap echos from my window sill. My eyes break from the pages of my book. I closely watch the window. I know it sounds childish but i've always hoped one day a prince would come through my window and rescue me. I think all the fairy tales and folklore my mother read to me as a child seeped too deeply into my brain.

I see a small pebble reflect in the moonlight and bounce off the pane of glass. Confused, I raise from my bed and quickly make my way to the window. I brush the white linen curtains out of my way and peer down to the ground below. 

I roll my eyes as i spot Vivi and Gemma on my lawn below. My father would be furious if he found them trying to convince me to sneak out. 

After all, they're the reason I no longer had a phone. After weeks of convincing, Gemma finally persuaded me to text a boy back. I had no idea my parents checked the phone bill. 

I turn back to my bedroom door, hoping that no guards are lingering around my room tonight. I bite my lip and turn the locks of the window. Shoving my fingers between the crevices, i slide my window up. 

"No, I'm not going." I whisper angrily to my two best friends down below.

"Fran... It's Leo." Gemma whispers back. 

I swallow a large lump stuck in my throat.

"Is he okay?" I reluctantly ask, hoping the answer isn't what i think it is. My brother had become a hot head in recent years, just like my father. All of our family and friends call him the spitting image of the Don, and it's in more ways than just looks.

"He found out the east siders were talking shit. He's looking for them... for a fight." Vivi explains.

"That's his problem!" I yell back, my eyes widening as i remember i'm supposed to be quiet. 

"Come on Fran, you know he won't listen to anyone but you. You know the east side boys are older, he's going to get himself killed." Gemma reasons with me. 

I sigh, rolling my eyes back in my head. "Not if i kill that little shit first."

Running over to my nightstand, i grab the light pink knife my father had bought me for protection. I tuck it snugly into my pocket, hoping i won't have to use it. 

I slip the screen from the window out of its clasps and toss it to the grass down below. Surveying the fall, i decide my best bet would be to crawl from the window to the awning of the pergola. 

I slowly inch my way across the brick, hoping i don't wake my parents with a fall in front of their window. Lowering myself down from the pergola, i jump down to the grass below. 

"I honestly didn't think your clumsy ass was going to pull that off." Vivi whispers, an innocent smile spreading across her face.

"Oh thanks Vivi." I stick my tongue out at her.

"This is what you wear to a fight?" Gemma points to my white cropped jacket, gray sleep shorts, knee high pink socks, and fuzzy gray slippers. 

The expression falls from my face as i give her a death glare, "Oh yeah sorry, next time my friends come and get me to save my little brother in the middle of the night i'll be sure to wear a tux." I snap. 

"Okay, we don't have time for an outfit change lets go." Vivienne interrupts my glare at Gemma.