Chapter 3 Those Eyes

Characters: Y/n, good friend Sora

takes place before- season 1 ep 1

 For some reason, I've always been able to tell what people are feeling. When someone is happy, I feel like I'm floating. When someone is excited, I feel out of breath. When someone is angry, I feel like I just got punched in the chest. When someone is scared or worried, I feel like a boulder is in my stomach. When someone is sad I feel like my throat and lungs are full of water. When someone is annoyed I feel like my jaw is being pried open. I don't know why I feel like this but I know when I was a kid I didn't know what it was so I would just continue to annoy people or make people mad. This ability is how I knew what was going on between my mom and dad.

I could tell they weren't in love anymore and I knew they would leave each other if they weren't going to be judged for it. They never fought around us and they seemed completely normal. There were no changes at all for years until my father started going out on these "business trips" . Even when he got back from them, my parents acted completely happy but each time my dad would go out I wouldn't see him for a longer and longer time. The last time he did it, I was sure he wasn't coming back and I wish he didn't. I wish he didn't see what I let happen.

It was a truly beautiful spring night. My friend came knocking at my window.

"Hey! It's a beautiful night out. We should sneak out."

I looked outside. It was cold and misty over the fields.

"I don't know.... We don't know what's out there. It could be dangerous. There's no one around."

" That means no one is around to hurt us. As long as we're together we'll be fine,"

The way she looked at me. I couldn't say no.

We ran out into the field. The sky was truly beautiful. I couldn't fathom how many stars there were and how far they were when they looked so close. My stomach growled. I pretended to stretch so my friend didn't notice. She stared at me. I could tell how worried she was.

"I thought you said you were going to stop doing that."

"Stop doing what?"

I replied acting clueless.

"Starving yourself."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You promised that we weren't going to let her get to us anymore. That we were going to have control-free lives without worrying about what she is going to do to us."

"I know and I'm trying, it's just not that easy. I starved myself like that for a whole year. I can't just go back to eating 3 meals a day like it never happened. I need to adjust. I've already gone up to eating a meal every two days instead of three and I'm doing my best to progress, I promise."

Once again, she looked at me. She looked at me with those eyes that made me want to cry. Not because her eyes were sad. Because her eyes were able to look into my life and fix my wounds and it made me want to cry. Not because they wanted to help but because I couldn't let them. I had to lie and say that I was fine and I was making progress when really I've gotten worse because she's reckless. She'll take on all my problems in a heartbeat without any mind of what they are doing to her and the pain they would put her through. I've burdened her enough already. I am never going to do it again.

I smiled at her.

"You don't have to worry about it, you know! I'm working on it every day. I can keep care of myself. You just have to worry about you and how you can be the person you want to be"

She started laughing at me.

"You're so corny. I can never stop worrying about you! Didn't you say that if you worry about someone, that means you love them because you're taking the time out of your day to think of them and worry about what they're dealing with?"

I got trapped in her gaze. I didn't know what to say or do.

"You really are a great friend, you know.

I spoke up, breaking the silence and I began to speak again.

"You know everything happens for a reason right? Like if I didn't meet you I'd probably have killed myself by now."

"You think?" She spoke up, "Well then why did you meet her? All she's brought you is pain and suffering."

"If I didn't meet her I wouldn't have met you."

Those eyes. She loves to stare at me with those eyes. They make me feel like I'm floating but suddenly I felt a rock in my stomach weighing me to the ground.

Fear. It was so powerful I couldn't move. I slowly forced myself to look back at the village and they were being attacked. I start running toward the village, my friend close behind me. What were they? Were we at war? No they were not people. There were dozens. They had sharp teeth and large muscles and evil eyes and long hair. They were monsters. No.... Demons!

We ran to the village and hid in an alleyway. We were holding each other close as we heard the growls and screams and deaths and cries. We both just sat there while it happened, doing nothing, silently sobbing as our home was being massacred. All I could do was listen and watch. The only words that echoed through my mind were. "Is this really happening? Does everything really happen for a reason?" I look down at my friend. She looked so pale that someone could mistake her for being dead.