II. White Lies

It has been months since I've been back to the university. And we're on the Second Semester Period. Everybody was excited to know who's on top of class. Since today is the announcement of the dean's listers. Yehey....not! Well they are excited, but not me. I don't think I did well with my first grades especially now that I am thinking of my family being gradually ruined. So I wasn't really that excited about it.

"Come on, Becks! Let's see who's on the list!" Aliza said while dragging me towards the classroom.

"Stop it, Liz. I am sure I am not on the list." I said.

"Oh come on! Your quiz scores are high and your Final Exam was high too." She said with a lot of conviction.

"Yeah. But I don't recite often in class." I retorted.

"Oh, don't be silly, Rebecka Graham. Recitation was like 10%. You're doing well. So come on now." She said. I can't do anything but do as she says.

Upon entering the room, bulks of students squeeze themselves near the bulletin board. Yes, the Dean's List will be posted in there. And with all this commotion, I know it's there already. I am skeptical about it so I sat on my chair and looked at the students passing by the window.

That was when I heard someone squealed. It was really familiar that only one person I know can squeal just like that. Aliza.

"Oh My God! Becky, come here! You gotta see this." Aliza's head popped out of the crowd of students and gestured for me to come over.

"Maybe later." I said lazily and continued gazing by the window.

I was surprised when someone grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the stampede of people.

"Look at this!" She said as she pointed her finger on a piece of paper pinned on the corkboard.

I looked at it and by the time my eyes and brain coordinate to understand the words, my knees started to feel weak as I recognize the name printed on the paper. I almost can't believe it. I am on the list! And I am on the third spot! I never saw this one coming! I never thought I'd make it. Given the fact that I don't participate well in class, I was really surprised that I was the third spot. My last years in here wasn't fruitful but right now, Oh my gosh! I made it!

"I am so proud of you, Becks." Aliza said smiling.

"Thank you." I said.

Unfortunately, Aliza wasn't on the list. But on the overall rankings, she's on a few points from making it. That was not bad at all. She can work her way through the list.

I, on the other hand, doesn't have a clue as to why I was on top the list. I wasn't really that participative in class, I really don't study ahead of time. I only do the studying thing when quizzes are announced, other than that, I'm good to fail. Maybe there was something wrong with the teacher's grades.

Aliza and I went to the canteen to buy food, since it was lunch break already. Students along with the longest line ever waited patiently with us. Everybody was talking about the rankings and I all but frown on the matter.

"Why are you frowning?" Aliza asked as we walk our way to an empty table after we ordered lunch.

"I just... I don't know how I got the third spot on the rankings." I answered.

"Really, Becks? Really?" She said.

"What?" I asked confusingly.

"In all history of humans, you are the first to frown at achieving something. Don't you know that there's others in there who thinks they'll be on top but doesn't? You must be happy at what you achieved." She stated.