I. Nostalgia

CHAPTER 1: Nostalgia

It is a day before school starts. For the past 2 years in college, I've never lived it up the way a normal teenager would do as much. Mine was even harder than all the exams I've taken up. Even harder than falling in line just to get enrolled. It's more stressing than doing left and right papers and meeting deadlines. It's more depressing than flunking a graded recitation or failing an exam. It's more than that.

I wasn't that excited to be at the university, though, West University was the school of my dreams. Everybody's excited about starting school again. As thrilled as everyone else, was my best friend, Aliza. We decided to study at the same school since we're really inseparable at some point.

"Hey, I like this one better. What do you think?" She asked as she raised a purple colored backpack with lots of flower designs on it. She is so girly, I am telling you.

"Yeah, that's pretty. You should buy that. If you wanna look like a highschooler." I answered.

"I don't care. But I think it's too girly." She commented. That made me look at her with a raised brow and hands on my waist.

"The ever so girly girl who loves all the freakin' girly stuff life has to offer, thinks a purple flowery backpack's too girly. Who are you? What have you done to my best friend?" I said in sarcasm.

She eyed me before saying, "Yeah, very funny. But seriously, what do you think of this?" She asked.

"That's cool. Buy it then." I answered.

I am picking up a couple of notebooks, ballpen and pad papers, and other stuff for school.

"Are you sure you don't want to buy a new backpack?" She asked.

"Nope, my old one's good. I'll stick with it for a while. Until it horribly gives up and beg for a new one." I said.

"If you say so. You done? The line's too long so we better finish up. It's getting dark." She said.

I put the school stuffs in the pushcart and said, "Whose idea was it to shop at 4:30 in the afternoon and stop for an ice cream first?" I said while tilting my head to the side.

"Mine. But hey, you enjoyed your ice cream! Don't act as if I just dragged you in there. If you just saw the sparkle in your eyes at the mention of ice cream." She snorted.

"Who wouldn't love ice cream?!" I scoffed.

"That's the whole point. Don't blame me for stopping for ice cream because you enjoyed it yourself too." she fired back.

"Yeah, whatever. You have an explaining to do with my Dad later." I said and she just pouted.

"If he's sober." She retorted. I just rolled my eyes heavenwards at her sarcasm.

We look like kids fighting over a cartoon channel. At the age of 17, we're not that old yet, right?

Aliza and I usually have fights like this. But at the end of the day, she's still my best friend.

***

The next day, we're off to school. Aliza's Mom, the Sheriff, dropped us at university.

"Bye, Mom. Drive safe." Aliza said to her Mom and gave her a kiss.

"Take care, you two." Sheriff Bentham said.

"Thank you for the ride, Mrs. Bentham." I said politely.

"You're always welcome, Becky. Now off you two go or you'll be late." She said and off her car went.

Aliza and I looked at each other and started to giggle. I don't want to sound so hypocrite to hide my excitement, but stepping at the pavement of West University gives me the thrills of my life.