Chapter 83: Graduation

Graduation was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It was supposed to be happy. But all Naomi felt was depression and anxiety.

What was she supposed to do after this? Did she follow the Grand Plan or try to strike out on her own? If she did break away from her mother's plan, what would she do? Stay at the flagship store until she sorted things out? Naomi doubted that would fund independent living, should her mother decide to kick her out.

The worries of the future weighed down on Naomi's shoulders and prevented her from relishing the moment. A moment that would never come again.

Ms. Rowe had been called to the office on urgent business, but Naomi doubted that her mother would miss this auspicious occasion. It was what she had worked so hard to push Naomi toward, after all. It was just that, now, Naomi sat alone in the corner of the women's dressing room. Loneliness lent itself to overthinking.

If only time would tick a little faster so Naomi could get this over with.

As if she heard Naomi's doubts and fears, Ms. VanCamp sailed through the door. "Ms. Naomi Rowe? Are you in here?"

Her tone was light, but in that way of professors who had words to be said.

Naomi rose to her feet, raising a hand to greet one of her favorite professors. The only professor who had ever understood Naomi's great need for a creative outlet.

Ms. VanCamp's face lit into a smile, which could only be taken as a good sign. "Come out with me for a moment."

"Yes, ma'am." Anything to get away from her swirling thoughts and emotions. Anything to have a respite, however small, from the terror of her future endeavors.

Naomi shuffled her way to the door and then out, following Ms. VanCamp down the hall to a quiet alcove.

There, Ms. VanCamp turned to embrace Naomi. A full-on hug that Naomi hadn't been expecting, but one that she had needed.

"What's going on?" Naomi asked, shocked by the sudden burst of affection. Even her own mother didn't do things like that.

Ms. VanCamp took a step back, releasing Naomi from the confines of her grasp. "I heard back from Masterson's."

Masterson's. The name rang a bell, but it still took Naomi a moment to place where she had heard it. "The competition you mentioned?"

Ms. VanCamp gave a slow nod. "As I've said, they've reached out to me regarding your results."

Ah. She must have failed. Naomi could have told Ms. VanCamp not to send in her work. It might be fine for an outlet, but Naomi had never meant to share it with the world.

"It's alright. I expected it to flop." Naomi lifted her shoulders in an elegant shrug.

"Flop? Oh. No." Ms. VanCamp's giggle was more nervous than humorous. "No, not at all."

Not at all? What did that mean? Naomi had never seen Ms. VanCamp at a loss for words. Especially not when the news was apparently... good news?

"You mean I was in the rankings?"

"I can hardly believe it, but..."Ms. VanCamp clasped her hands together above her heart. "Naomi Rowe, you've won the Masterson Pinnacle of Arts Award. Your work took first place in the competition."

Naomi couldn't believe it herself. She had never considered art as anything more than a pastime. How had a pastime turned into... this? Naomi had never won any competition that hadn't already been approved by her mother as part of the Grand Plan. To win something that her mother couldn't possibly have rigged sent a feeling of freedom and joy straight to Naomi's soul.

"I... won?" Naomi didn't know if she wanted to cry, jump up and down in glee, or shout for joy and relief. "I won?"

"You have." Ms. VanCamp looked as joyous as Naomi felt. "They will deliver the certificate and award to my office. I'll contact you when it arrives."

"You're sure it isn't a mistake?"Naomi double-checked. Just in case.

"It isn't," Ms. VanCamp laughed. "I told you, your talent is exceptional."

Naomi took a breath so deep that it hurt. She had never been freer to live than in that moment, never felt more fulfilled than to know she had created something that others enjoyed. The surrealness of the whole thing swirled around her like mystic fog. Naomi had never been looking to excel in the art world. It had come more naturally than anything she had accomplished in her entire life.

"Ah, and this." Ms. VanCamp dug into her bag and pulled out a small, shiny business card. "I've been asked to pass this along to you, with an offer to become his intern. It would be a two-year placement, but it isn't an opportunity to take lightly."

Naomi took the card carefully, unsure if she wanted to know who had given the offer. The iridescent card sparked in the light of the nearby window. Andre Asimov, it read. Then it gave his website and contact details.

Naomi looked up, questioning silently who this man was. She didn't dabble in the art world and thus didn't know his name like Ms. VanCamp seemed to.

Ms. VanCamp's smile widened at Naomi's puzzled look. "Andre Asimov is a risen star of this generation. His works are set to be the next Van Gogh or Monet, that's how prized they are. He only takes one intern every four years."

"And he wants me?"

"He wants you badly." Ms. VanCamp shrugged her shoulders. "But it's your call."

"How long do I have to decide?"Because she wanted to take her time, but Naomi understood the treasure in her hands.

"Two weeks. No longer, or he'll move on with his search."

Naomi nodded. Two weeks. Two weeks to decide whether she followed her mother's plan or started her own. Two weeks to choose because a certain future and the uncertainty of the chance of a lifetime. Fourteen days to decide her own fate.

"I'll think on it and get back to him."

Ms. VanCamp nodded in approval. "He'll appreciate that you're taking this seriously. Talk to your mentors and your family about it. I can't wait to see how you blossom going forward."

"Thank you," Naomi offered. Words she only said if she meant them wholeheartedly.

"Naomi, there you are!" Her mother's voice sailed down the hall. "I've been looking all over for you. The ceremony is about to start."

"Ms. VanCamp." Naomi shoved the business card into the pocket of her dress beneath her robe. "Can you not tell my mom for now?"

Ms. VanCamp agreed with yet another nod.

Naomi took a breath, this time shallower than last, and blew it out. She could get through this, make her decision, and live a life of her own. She didn't have tolisten to what others wanted for her, but she did need to discover what she wanted for herself.

For the first time in her life, that didn't scare Naomi. It thrilled her instead.