Chapter 28: Advice

Kieran released Naomi's shoulders, breaking the bond between them just in time for the door to swing inward.

Professor McNally stopped, one foot over the threshold, to survey the scene before him. "You've found a new use for my office."

Naomi's fingers lifted to her hair, tucking it out of her face and smoothing it across her shoulders. Her eyes went to the floor, probably out of embarrassment if the reddening of her cheeks said anything.

As for Kieran, he choked. On air or his own saliva, he couldn't tell. What Kieran did know was that Professor McNally had insinuated much more than Naomi caught. Kieran couldn't let him go on if he wanted to save any face with (or for) the little rich girl.

"Thank you for letting me know about Ms. VanCamp's arrangements, Naomi." Kieran raised his brows at her, trying to telepathically communicate that she should agree with his story.

Naomi, to her credit, nodded her head. "We'll see you in class then."

"Tell Ms. VanCamp that I said hello," Professor McNally interrupted.

Naomi nodded her head again, the only thing she seemed capable of. Then she fled. Straight up ran. Kieran couldn't blame her.

Professor McNally watched her go, then turned to level his stare at Kieran.

Kieran smiled, hoping it might diffuse the situation. "We're just friends."

"Oh, is that what friends do to gethernowadays?"

Crap. Professor McNally had gotten the entirely wrong idea about what they had been doing. Kieran gave another cough, trying to catch his breath and failing. Best to change the subject now. "I thought you were on vacation."

"Officially speaking, I am." Professor McNally folded his arms. "I came back early, but that doesn't mean I'm back in office yet. Don't tell anyone I came in today."

"If you don't tell anyone what you saw," Kieran retaliated.

Professor McNally laughed. "I've been young before, son. And it isn't the first time I've walked in on something like that. You think I'm an old fogey or something?"

"I think you have a big mouth and bigger heart." Kieran folded his hands behind his back, hiding the evidence of his and Naomi's exchange under the guise of good posture. "You're going to tell me something like... you don'twant her to get hurt. That it isn't kosher to date a student. Those kinds of things."

"Are you dating her?"

"Heck no." Kieran answered too quickly and he knew it. "I told you, we're just friends."

"Friends don't hold other friends like that." Professor McNally sank into his desk chair to open a drawer. "You like her, don't you?"

Him? Like Naomi? What kind of nonsense had McNally come up with? Why would Kieran possibly grow feelings for a mark? Naomi was a means to an end. But he couldn't tell the professor that.

"We really are friends."

"Then I think you have some decisions to make, young man."

"No, I don't."

"Ah, so you're in denial." Professor McNally scoured the drawer, came up with a pill bottle, and shoved it into his pocket. "You should ask yourself if you want to stay friends with her, or if you want to be more than friends. If the first, you should stop behaving like you've been behaving. If the second, you pursue that girl like she deserves to be pursued. And if you can't decide... you should stay away from her."

Sadly, Kieran knew that Professor McNally had a point. If Kieran had been raised with a conscience, he would never treat Naomi like he'd been treating her. She deserved more. She deserved a decent life, not a trashy player.

Did he actually like her? He couldn't. Kieran had responsibilities and promises to uphold. Naomi didn't fit into his world and he sure didn't fit into her world.

If you can't decide... you should stay away from her. Probably the best option, but Kieran found he didn't want to follow the wise advice. Naomi piqued his curiosity and drew out a side of him that he didn't know existed. Kieran didn't want to let that go just yet. So few women had ever held the power to actually intrigue him. Once he let Naomi go, he would be bored again.

"It's not what you think," Kieran argued lamely.

Professor McNally held up a hand. "I don't know what it is. I'm not part of it. But I know what I saw. And I know how a gentleman acts. Make up your mind before you rush into anything you'll regret."

Time to change the subject again. It had gotten heavy fast, and bore down on Kieran's conscience like a tower of bricks.

"Why are you here if you're still on vacation?"

Professor McNally patted the pocket where he had placed the pill bottle. "Blood pressure medication. I ran out at home."

Convenient. Kieran wasn't sure he believed the story, but it seemed plausible.

"And the reason you're not in Bali?"

"Wasn't as amazing as I expected." Professor McNally rose slowly to his feet, his old joints complaining at the movement. "Don't worry. You have a few more weeks here before I come back to the office. You take care of yourself. I'll be fine."

It might have been the way that he kept insisting that he would be fine. It could have been Kieran's sharp instincts. Either way, something felt off. Kieran didn't dare pry. Not at that moment, not when Professor McNally might go into a whole speech about Kieran's less-than-ethical practices. At that moment all Kieran wanted was for the conversation to end.

So he let it go. He didn't ask. But he made a mental note to look into it. Because something felt... wrong.

Professor McNally patted Kieran's shoulder on his way to the door. "You're doing good, son. Keep it up."

Doing good? Perhaps professionally, but Professor McNally knew nothing about Kieran's private life. If he knew, perhaps he wouldn't trust Kieran so fully.

Either way, Kieran gave a smile and a nod. "Thank you, Professor. Have a nice rest."

"That's the plan!" Professor McNally threw a wave over his shoulder. "I'll be seeing you."

That, Kieran believed.