Chapter 12: Meeting

Kieran kept his eyes glued to the computer screen, hoping others would leave him alone while he thought for a moment. 

He hadn't anticipated an intrusion by the Girl in White. The innocent maiden he had watched on campus. Now she stood mere feet behind him, just waiting. For what? Probably the ability to leave. The shoot had to end before she could return the shoes. 

Kieran could offer her a few more things to wait for, if he gathered the audacity to do so. 

He hadn't meant for this to be their first meeting. A plan had been laid, and this fit nowhere inside it. However, Kieran knew better than to look a gift-horse in the mouth. 

Donovan had provided him with the information he needed to approach her. Though Kieran had a different beginning in mind, he could bow to Fate's whims. It only sped up the timing of their first encounter. Everything else remained the same. No reason to get flustered. 

First things first. Kieran had a photoshoot to finish. 

It might have been easier to separate work from personal life if hadn't been innately aware of the small, naïve woman in the corner. Every single movement she made, every one of her sighs, all told him something new about the girl. Important information that he hated to overlook. Both taking pictures and taking notes required all his focus. Kieran had to choose. 

So, instead of pondering why it had to be that girl who brought the shoes, Kieran set all his willpower on finishing the pictorial. 

One thing at a time, he reminded himself. Keeping his job ranked higher on his list of priorities than that girl ever would. 

She didn't follow them to the third and final set, but rather stayed seated in her corner of the warehouse. All for the better. She would have only been in the way. 

Kieran snapped the final picture as the sun dropped low enough to shine through the warehouse door. 

A quick check to the computer satisfied him that he had taken enough shots. Kieran circled a finger in the air. "That's a wrap! Thank you, everybody." 

Applause went up, along with loud cheers, throughout the sea of technicians and assistants. Far too many people for one little photoshoot, but who was he to tell the celebrities that they couldn't bring along their entire entourage? Why would they listen to a lowly photographer?

Kieran chuckled to himself as the crowd dispersed to the changing room and other various tasks. Celebrities were strange creatures, indeed. 

"You've been sitting here an awfully long time, is there something you need?" 

At the tone of Niall's voice, Kieran lifted his attention away from his job of cleaning the camera lens. That nuisance wouldn't be talking to the Girl in White. Niall didn't pay attention to unimportant people. Right?

A slow turn of Kieran's head brought the scene into view. The Girl in White had risen from her chair. Niall stood in front of her, hands loosely in his pockets and that signature grin on his smug face. What business could Niall possibly have with a girl like that? She didn't belong to the usual caliber of woman that Niall approached, Kieran was certain of that.

Kieran also knew he couldn't let Niall have the slightest sliver of a chance with her. Not if he wanted to put to use the information he had gathered. Why should he allow some dumb model to ruin his plan?

Kieran settled the camera in its bag, zipped it closed, and slung the strap over his shoulder. A decent beginning would be better than none at all. This wasn't how he meant to approach her, it wouldn't be perfect, but Kieran would make it work.