We have to be realistic.

"This town is a significant point in the German railway network. Most if not all of the traffic in the area goes through here, so if we're able to cut it, the Germans will be left without their support," Colonel Miller explained to the Officers.

Elias stood there, staring blankly at the map laid down on the table. Everyone in that room knew that the Germans would not allow them to simply take the town. It would be a fight with a lot of casualties. It was a risk, but one that the major general was ready to make. Elias couldn't help but feel guilty. The men didn't know what they were walking into and he couldn't tell them. 

"Captain Smith," Colonel Miller called as the officers were leaving the tent. They had to tell the troops to get ready and start packing up the camp.

"Yes, sir?"

"Are you sure you can handle this?" the Colonel asked with an unreadable expression on his face.

"I am, sir," Elias of course answered but it didn't seem to ease the Colonel.

"Sit," he said and Elias complied. Like many times before Colonel Miller dug into his desk drawer and dug out a familiar bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

"You want to tell the soldiers where exactly we are going, don't you?" the older man asked already knowing the answer. Elias thought about it for a while.

"I do, but I know I can't," Elias answered taking a glass from the Colonel's outstretched hand.

"Why?" Colonel Miller asked. He wasn't confused, he wanted Elias to say it himself. Elias collected his thoughts and turned his own emotions off. They weren't needed.

"They would get nervous, hasty. Some would want to retreat. It would only create panic in the regiment," Elias answered like a machine. 

"I know it, but it doesn't mean I like it," he concluded as Colonel Miller looked at him with a small smile.

"You are a great leader and the men look up to you, but this is something you have to learn to do. You are right, you don't have to like it but I need to be sure that you understand what you have to do. Being a leader isn't easy. It takes heart, guts, and balls to do what we do. To make the thought decisions, to take a step back and look at the facts. We have to be realistic in order for the world to be idealistic," Colonel Miller said somehow deep in thought while still maintaining chillingly deep eye contact with Elias who could only nod. 

"We'll be rolling out tomorrow," Elias explained. He was standing in front of his platoon. Marcus had been promoted to Sergeant and he dealt with most of the daily tasks regarding the platoon but they still looked up to Elias when times were rough.

"What does it mean?" John asked voicing the question on everyone's mind.

"Officially I didn't tell you anything, but I'm not gonna lie," Elias said with a small smirk on his lips earning a few smiles from the serious crowd.

"We'll be moving east and joining a fight in order to liberate a town and throw a few sticks in the Germans' railways," Elias continued.

"This is what we were trained to do and we've survived worse. No Germans can take down the 44th," Elias said and raised his flask to a toast.

That night they celebrated. Men were drinking and laughing like it was their last day. People danced on tables, sang along to songs they didn't know the words to, and tried to forget that they were going to be moving into hellfire in a few hours.