24. on-again, off-again

Granger,

Why does everyone think we're dating?

–Draco

I'm handling it.

–Hermione

That doesn't answer my question.

I was tired of getting hit on at the pub and told everyone you were my boyfriend. It escalated.

And you chose me out of literally any other option because...?

Everyone knows you're a possessive prat with a dark past (aka sleazebag repellent).

However, I apologise for dragging you into this mess. You weren't supposed to find out. I'll make sure everyone knows we broke up.

Flattered, Granger. I hope you tell everyone I broke up with you and not the other way around. A man can only take so much damage to his reputation.

How tragic that dating me tarnishes your pure-blood virtue. My condolences.

I only meant that my reputation is damaged enough. I don't need Hermione Granger dumping me to become front-page news on top of all that.

I'll say it was a mutual parting and we harbour no ill-will against one another. 'Wishing you all the best, etc. etc.' Good?

If you want to throw in that I'm the best you ever had, I won't be offended.

🍭

By the time the annual Samhain Festival hits Diagon Alley, Draco is knee-deep in preparations for reentering nouveau society and the letter exchange with Hermione Granger, peculiar as it was, fades from his mind.

The Prophet stops pestering him for quotes about their whirlwind romance. His fireplace devours Witch Weekly's nauseating pink letterhead into ashes. And he assumes Granger managed to spread word they broke up cordially because nobody terrorises him for breaking the Golden Girl's heart. It's a clean 'breakup', as promised.

🍭

Malfoy. Why are there rumours about us getting back together?

Needed your good name to get me out of trouble. Sorry, Granger. Fair's fair.

Trouble? I will not serve as an alibi for your crimes.

There was no crime. Some wanker was calling me an ignorant Death Eater, and I simply said an ignorant Death Eater wouldn't date Hermione Granger. (And before you start, I would date a Muggle-born witch. I only lied by saying it was you.)

I suppose that's alright. We'll need to announce we broke up (again).

'Cordially, still friends, etc. etc.' Don't worry. I've got it.

🍭

Though her close friends know nothing happened between her and Malfoy, it doesn't stop them from poking fun at her when he shows up with Theo Nott and Blaise Zabini at Leaky one evening.

"Hermione, hide." Ron glances in Malfoy's direction, wagging his gingery brows. "Your awful ex is here."

She shoots him a sickly sweet look, resting her chin on her palm, and deadpans, "Yeah, I've been looking at him this whole time."

Ron's grin fades and he elbows Harry for laughing and giving her a high-five. As the boys bicker, Hermione's eyes follow Malfoy across the room.

He's wearing velvet black robes with silver runes sewn onto the cape. His hair, long on top and buzzed along the sides, makes his jaw look supremely chiselled and his forehead far less imposing.