8. Cool//Underneath It All

I wrote this a while back and forgot to upload it to this collection. Part 1 is based off "Cool" by Gwen Stefani (music video linked above, many ideas inspired by the music video), and Part 2 is based off the song "Underneath It All" by No Doubt. 

Enjoy!

***

[It's hard to remember how it felt before, now I found the love of my life]

Draco enters the kitchen in a soft cashmere jumper, the same gentle grey as his eyes. It's early but he smells like his daytime body wash, he's shaved, and his hair is blown out and soft-looking.

I've made myself a latte with cinnamon on top and the scent of rich espresso wafts across the room. His cappuccino sits on a saucer on the place setting next to mine, fresh chocolate shavings sprinkled over fluffy white foam and as if that's not sweet enough, I've also added two sugars.

He kisses my temple. "You're good to me, wife," he says, picking up the coffee and taking a tentative sip to ensure it isn't too hot. He dives into the scrambled eggs and toast with watermelon slices and stemless strawberries on the side. I'm eating the same thing only without the toast because I don't hold carbs like I used to and there's only so much bloat my pencil skirt can afford. The Prophet has already announced I'm with child five times, all of which were untrue.

"Ron called me this morning."

His fork freezes midair. "Weasley?" He puts it down without taking a bite, landing on the plate with a metallic screech.

"Mhm."

"What did he want?"

"He's coming to visit and wanted to stop by for tea with his girlfriend."

"When?" He takes a longer sip of his drink. I grin at the foamy moustache that coats his upper lip. He swipes it away with the back of his hand and licks off chocolate dust with the tip of his tongue.

"Tomorrow."

He looks uncertain. "I'll be in Berlin."

"I know." He's leaving right after breakfast on a business trip for three days.

Draco is gone about ten days a month on business travel, I'm used to it and even though the bed is empty without him, I get a lot done when he's not home. Mainly, catching up on recreational reading after a long day at the office, long baths with lavender-scented oils and fizzy bubbles, and occasionally I watch The Bachelor or Bachelorette because it's a guilty pleasure and Draco always makes fun of me for it when he's around.

He curls his fingers around my hand, stroking figure-eights with his thumb. "Are you going to be alright?"

Though his touch is barely-there, I'm thoroughly distracted and it takes a moment to respond. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Seeing him with her."

I flip my hand over to lace our fingers together. "I haven't felt that way about Ron in years."

"Doesn't mean you'll be unaffected. And I won't be here to make sure you're alright."

"He tells me about his girlfriend all the time. I'm okay, I promise."

"I know, but it's different hearing him tell you about his girlfriend than actually seeing them together. I don't want you to be put off, you're sensitive." There's a crease between his pale brows. "Couldn't he visit when I'm back?"

"No, they're only in England for a few days and they have a whole itinerary. Apparently, Persephone is a rigorous planner."

He laughs. "And apparently, Weasley has a type."