Unearthed

"I told you Grey was bad news," Autumn said. The scarecrow reclined on her bed, busy knitting a black scarf.

Beatrix flopped onto her own bed. "One second Grey's blaming Astar for holding up the murder investigation, then he stops me from checking the woods for a suspect!"

Autumn looked up. "What do you mean 'Astar's holding up the investigation'? He's patrolling every night."

"Grey said Astar's lying and hanging with ghouls instead," Beatrix explained. "Did I tell you how Grey grabbed me when I went near the fence? Like, I know there's another ban on leaving school grounds, but he was being so weird!"

Autumn looked dejected. "Astar's out with ghouls every night?"

"Are you listening? We can't trust Astar or Grey! We have to solve these murders on our own!"

"How are we going to do that?" Autumn asked.

"I haven't gotten that far. I could start checking the perimeter secretly at night... or..."

"No way," Autumn interrupted.

"Then... I don't know... you're the smart one! Have any ideas?"

Autumn set her scarf aside. "What about magic?"

"Huh?"

"You cast some impressive spells last semester," Autumn reasoned. "If you're going to play detective, you could use magic to help find the murderer or, at the very least, protect yourself while investigating."

Beatrix was shocked. "Use magic? After all that drama I went through with the school board?"

"Astar and I were talking in the library while you were in your MSS meeting," Autumn said. "I told him I wished my body could recover faster after my fall in the gym. Astar suggested you could try some type of healing spell to speed things up... and he offered to help you if you were open to it. Using a bit of magic here and there doesn't sound like a bad idea, does it?"

"He has no business talking about that with you," Beatrix asserted. She was determined not to cast spells at Monster High anymore and found Astar's attempts to persuade her through Autumn disturbing.

Autumn persisted, "Think about it. You'll need a spell or potion if you're not going to rely on Astar for this."

"Do you hear yourself? I'm not using magic! Stop listening to Astar!"

Besides, Beatrix couldn't even use effective magic if she wanted to. Spectra had been the one teaching her, and Beatrix hadn't seen the ghost for a while.

Something slammed against their dorm window, making both girls jump.

"Good morning!" Astar called.

Autumn sprang out of bed and opened their fifth-floor window.

Astar took a seat on their window sill and leaned in. "Ready for training?"

"Training?" Beatrix asked.

Autumn suppressed an embarrassed smile. "I talked to Astar about how I can speed up my recovery and become sturdier. So, I'm starting to train with him today..."

"Autumn needs to toughen up if she wants to get back to fearleading," Astar said. "I was generous enough to offer my help."

"Autumn! Are you coming?" Frankie's voice shouted outside.

Beatrix pushed past Astar and saw Frankie, Toralei, and Abbey dressed in running gear below.

"Coming!" Autumn said, rushing to her closet to change. "Astar, turn around!"