Chapter 1

Rain is unusual for a crown prince. For one thing he is the first omega crown prince in over two hundred years. For another he isn’t content to sit in the palace while his people suffer. Today he and his companion Sky are on their way to visit one of the poorer villages to take them medicine and food. The supply carts had gone ahead yesterday because Rain had been delayed by a last minute meeting with his father and uncle. 

Because of the delay, Rain's small carriage is cutting through the forest path instead of staying on the main road. This was his uncle’s suggestion since he had caused the problem in the first place. Rain had accepted his uncle’s suggestion gratefully since it would cut several hours off of the boring carriage ride. 

Rain is telling Sky a story about the kittens he had seen near the granary while the other omega pointedly ignores him and stares at a book he had brought along for reading. This is the third time Rain has told him the story of the kittens since he had spotted them yesterday. Suddenly he and Sky are pitched forward as the carriage stops suddenly. They look at each other in surprise. 

"What…" Rain starts but Sky motions for him to be quiet. They listen intently but everything seems quiet. Rain is just about to speak again when a knock at the shuttered window makes them jump. Rain lets out a little squeal.

The knock comes again and Rain nods at Sky who moves to open the window. He is holding his breath but lets it out in a relieved sigh when he sees it's the head of his royal guard, Prapai. 

"Prince Rain," he says, bringing his hand to his chest in salute. "There is a tree down across the road. The men are clearing it out. I am going to take some men and scout around while the others work." 

Rain nods and says, "Very well thank you for your report." 

"Sky," Prapai greets Rain's companion with a smile. 

Sky gives the man a cold nod. Rain has to hide his smile behind his hand. He knows that Sky has been sneaking out to meet the alpha at night, and comes back smelling a bit too much like the alpha. Sky doesn't know he knows. 

Rain shifts in his seat, "Ugh so sore, do you think it will be all right to get out and stretch?" 

"I don't know." Sky says. 

"Oh, come on, the guards are right there, what could go wrong?" Rain asks. 

"Lots of things," Sky mumbles but he moves to open the door. He freezes when there is a muffled thump outside. 

"Probably just them clearing the tree," Rain says but he doesn’t sound sure. 

Sky slowly opens the door and steps out followed by Rain a couple minutes later. It takes Rain a moment to realize what he is looking at, even when Sky yells for him to run. His guards that Prapai left by the carriage are on the ground, they look like they have been knocked out.

Sky is being held by a pair of men. Rain turns to run but a pair of strong arms grab him. He struggles for a minute to get loose even stamping down on the foot of his captor. The one holding him is obviously an alpha from his scent. The alpha grunts and picks him up, throwing him over his shoulder. Rain squeaks in fear and indignation. 

"Bring the other one as well." The man orders before taking Rain to his waiting horse and unceremoniously throwing him over the saddle. Rain's wind is knocked out of him and by the time he recovers they are already moving at a breakneck speed. He doesn't dare struggle now. 

Rain ends up closing his eyes most of the journey because looking at the ground flying by like that makes him feel like throwing up. He just hopes that Sky is okay. Sky is more than just the companion that has been assigned to Rain since their childhood, he is Rain's best friend closer than a brother would have been.