Chapter 4

Things are complicated. Considering that Rain is falling for the person who kidnapped him, even with the best intentions of saving his life, that is an understatement.

Why now? Rain wonders. Why does this have to happen now? His family, at the very least his uncle, wants him dead. He has a country to worry about, his people are suffering, a relationship should be the last thing Rain is worried about.

"You are the crown prince," Sky informs him when he brings this up, "it doesn't get more complicated than that. Your people expect you to get married eventually, you could do worse than a handsome alpha like Phayu."

"My father won't be happy about it." Rain says, "He has been pushing for me to marry someone for political gain." Rain wonders if it is his failure to make a political match that led to this situation in the first place. If his father really is involved in the attempt on his life that is.

"Who cares." Sky says, "The people will love Phayu. They will see him as one of their own. Having the support of the people is the best political gain." Sky has a point. One thing that always bothered Rain about his father was that the king didn't seem to care for his people. He courts the favor of other kingdoms, sending them lavish gifts and throwing large dinners while his people starve. Of course, they need foreign allies, but the king seems to not care about the average citizens at all.

Rain has done everything within his power to help their citizens, but his family has blocked him at every turn.

Rain wishes his grandfather were still alive. The old king had understood the need to help the people.

His grandfather would have also adored Phayu.

"So what do you think I should do?" Rain asks.

Sky taps him on his chest above his heart and says, "I think you should follow your heart, not your head."

"And what about Sky? Are you going to make up with Pai?" Rain asks.

"Oh, I am meeting with him tonight." Sky says.

Rain doesn't miss the way Sky's eyes sparkle mischievously. He almost feels sorry for Prapai.

"Sky, will you forgive me?" Are the first words out of Pai's mouth.

"Do you know why I am mad at you?" Sky asks.

"For having you and Rain kidnapped?" Pai asks.

"You think that I am mad at you for saving our lives?" Sky asks with a raised eyebrow. "I got over that once I knew the real reason behind the kidnapping. Try again, do you know?"

"Yes, no, I don't know," Pai finally admits.

"Why don't you kneel here," he points at a spot in the corner, it's a child's punishment, "and think it over."

When Pai hesitates, Sky says, "Or you can leave, and I will just stay mad."

Pai goes to the corner and kneels facing the wall.

Half an hour later, Pai says, "My Sky, can I get up? My knees hurt. I promise, I have learned my lesson."

Sky looks up from the book he is reading, "Do you know why I am mad at you now?"

"Because I didn't talk to you first?" Pai suggests.

"Is that a question or an answer?" Sky asks.

"I should have come to you and told you what was going on. I should have trusted you to handle the truth." Pai says with more confidence.

"Good, glad that you know." Sky says. He marks his place in the book, he moves to sit on the edge of the bed and places a pillow on the floor at his feet. "Now let's see if you can make better use of being on your knees. You look so pretty like that; it would be a shame to waste the opportunity."