Chapter -6

Chapter - 6

In the bright moonlit evening, the green tree leaves swayed as the soft breeze blew past the empty fields, past the valleys and high mountains. And in doing so, it took with it the few sprightly ones into the quiet corner of the corridor where Jean and his company stood at a  stalemate.

*chuckles "Why so serious?", Asa proceeded
indicating for the others to follow him.

"No. Don't. I don't need your pity.

I have always been here. As long as I remember.", He looked back to (maybe) observe what the reaction of the people behind him will be. Smiling at their somewhat dumbfounded expressions he went on.

"My mother worked in this place when I wasn't born yet and continued to do so even after my birth

"Do you know where is she now?", Robert poked out his head.
.
.
.

Scratching the back of his head, Asa, who appeared unsure with a confused look replied,

".....Gone? - maybe. I don't know."

"It was my seventh birthday when everything happened, I was too young perhaps ignorant to remember too, and ever since then I remained in this place."

Jean despite not wanting to appear rude probed further, "Do they care?"

About You.

The thought of not seeing his parents has formed a deep scar within Jean's heart and now listening to this kid with a similar situation made him empathize.

"Well of course they do. Aunt Lily cooks food, and Martha now and then will bring me gifts. I never lack anything so far and also, even if I ask them to assign me to some tasks they just won't let me! "

"That's so irritating because I do want to be of some help. Otherwise, it feels like I am a freeloader."

"It's because they love you and don't want you to get hurt." Seeing his childishness Jean didn't know if he wanted to laugh or cry. He scolded himself for thinking that the kid didn't act his age. Asa's aggrieved face with his puffed-up cheeks was beyond cute and Jean desperately held back his temptation to pinch those cheeks.

Pouting Asa complained, "Even so, at least I should be allowed to do the basic of things but they say 'no' whenever I insist."

"Well they are the adults, they naturally know what's best for you."

Darrion's holy father disease finally kicked in.

"Humph! Whatever." muttering under his breath Asa ignored him and changed the topic,

"Anyways, you people surely aren't here to just blabber around with a kid.

Do you want me to take you to Sister Estelle? She is the number one in here and even though I don't want her to accompany guests you guys somehow give me feel that you aren't like those perverts who usually crowd The House of Iris."

Jean, who planned to spend this evening enjoying the tiny bliss of the adult world choked on his saliva. He even made plans on getting drunk and chat with the beauties but hearing what Asa speculated about them he somehow felt guilty.

Looking at the gradually darkening sky he shook his head rejecting his proposal,

"We are tight on our schedules. So not today, lad."

Robert fortunately, this time was quick to take the hint and provided with the excuse that they had to reach someplace by tomorrow morning and were short on time.

After they said their farewells and were about to be on their way, Asa however stopped them and refused to let them go. It was only after Jean promised to come back and meet him when he had time did the guy agree.
.