No Choice

Even though the darkness was descending Lantern had his spear and long knife prepared, ready to seek out the small entrance Topan had used. Gesang wanted to come, but Jack firmly denied him, commanding the young man to keep watch over Nuri.

"I will return before dawn."

"Jack," his wife spoke quietly, but her features were strained, pale. He put both hands on her shoulders, gazing into her eyes, reminded of just how beautiful she was. The corners of his mouth edged up in a tender smile she knew well.

"And I, you," blinking away the heavy mist of tears, she managed to smile back. His kiss was quick, pressed against her temple.

Heading out, Lantern slipped into the jungle heading toward the high wall to the northeastern edge of the valley. No moon graced the night sky, so his progress was slow. Sound carried long distances and he must be careful. The outside tunnel entrance was not far from where he buried the bodies of the fallen Anaiyan Hunters, a day and place he would never forget.

Rain was falling when he reached the base of the wall where the tall trees grew out from the steep side. Warily making his way toward the place he'd been held captive, Lantern kept his eyes moving, not wanting to miss the clearing when he caught sight of a small glimmer. Lowering into a crouch, he focused on the wavering light, recognizing it for what it was. Firelight. The Hunters had found the way in.

A large hide stretched between the trees, tied off, giving them a lean-to of sorts, keeping the men and fire from the rain. There were three, older, experienced Hunters, not young boys who would be easily overcome. Lantern felt himself go completely still, knowing he might never return to his family. Three against one...they had much to prove, and he had everything to lose.

Tightening his grip on the spear he inched forward, aware to make no noise, no sudden movements that would attract attention. The Hunters though were not without instincts, and before Lantern had come five yards, one stood and looked into the darkness, almost right at him. It drew the attention of his companions and they also stood. As one, they picked up their weapons and slipped from the firelight, circling wide where Jack lay, alone.

Gesang was keeping watch when the snapping of twigs brought him to his feet, blade in hand. Blood pulsed heavily against his temples; aware this could be a fight to the death. A rush of air left him when Jack staggered into the circle of firelight, clutching an ugly wound cut into his side. Blood coated his hand, soaking into his tunic, and dripping down his leggings.

"What happened?" The young Hunter grabbed his arm, supporting the older man to the warmth of the fire. Nuri was by his side in an instant, her eyes taking in the wound.

"They found the second entrance," he panted, features hard. "Three Hunters, one got away, heading off to tell the rest where we are hiding while the two ambushed me."

"I have to stitch this, Jack." Nuri gently fingered the wound, gauging the depth. "It will not heal by itself."

"There is no time," he tried to sit up but they both jumped to stop him. "The Hunter got away and by now has reached your father. They know exactly where we are."

"No good will come from bleeding to death. It will only take a few moments to close the wound."

She would accept no argument, and quickly had the small hook threaded and was weaving small knots through his flesh as he gritted his teeth, muscles shaking in uncontrollable spasms. Finishing, she rubbed a herbal paste across the slash and bound it with strips of soft woven fiber.