Yomweta

"Gone?" Jati could not believe his ears. "What do you mean he's gone?"

He had awakened to a warm fire, a full bowl of food, and Nuri. She had been unusually quiet, reluctant to meet his eyes or speak about why Jack was missing.

"He decided to make another place his home." Answering carefully, her voice wavered as she strove to keep tears from falling. "It is unlikely that he left the valley,"

"Why would he leave the valley?" Trying to keep his anxiety under control, Jati's voice was sharp and she flinched. "Why would he leave his woman and hearth? Did you argue?"

"No, yes, but that was not the reason," miserable, her expressive eyes glistened with unhappiness. Burying her face in her hands, she let out a quivering sigh. "It is hard to explain."

"Nuri?" Concerned now, Jati shifted nearer. "Did he sever the bond with you? Are we on our own?"

It was customary for a woman to answer a direct question, and the ties of tradition pulled heavily although Nuri would rather do anything than admit to her disgrace. What would he think of her? What was she supposed to think of herself? Peering through her lashes, she saw Jati still waiting, his expression frozen in suspense.

"I am not his woman." It was a whispered response. His eyes went wide.

"But I have seen you together!" He protested. "The way he looks at you, the way you talk to him, I do not understand!"

"It is hard to explain," her words were lost on him. Torn between disappointment and surprise, the young man wasn't focused on her just then. Jack had been on a pedestal, a figure to look up to, to imitate. A rush of cold awareness made him cringe as he glanced at Nuri.

"Did you let him...?" he did not finish but Nuri turned to him, her eyes brimming with unshed tears, lips trembling.

"No. He would not. He..." unable to continue Nuri burst into fresh tears, sobbing as she rocked back and forth, shame and despair washing through her body. It had been humiliating enough to be rejected by Jack, but now to admit it to another, to lay bare her disgrace! Her weeping sent Jati into a near panic.

"Nuri...do not cry! I will provide for us. Please, do not cry." The way she just collapsed into his arms frightened him. This was not the woman he knew. "Do not cry,"

Holding her close the youth wondered what would become of them. He was not able to travel any real distance yet, even small movements causing pain and he needed a staff to go more than a few steps. As for hunting large prey, he'd never had training on how to do it by himself. Jati's thoughts turned dark, his heart going quiet as Nuri wept. What was to become of them?

Eventually, Nuri's tears ran dry. Sniffling, she sat up and then pushed to her feet, pacing the cave as Jati watched. Shoulders bunched, arms crossed, at first, he thought she was distraught, however, the more she paced, he began to think she was angry. The transformation was remarkable. The woman who had been distraught and weeping was gone, replaced by a fiercely confident one with a hard gleam in her eyes.

Kneeling by her bedding, she began to quickly gather things into a supple skin pouch, but Jati could not see over her shoulder. When she stood, facing him, there was a bright look of finality on her face.

"Stay here. I am going to bring him back." Without waiting for a response she spun on her heel and strode from the cave.