The Truth

Dark storm clouds gathered across the afternoon sky temperature dropping suddenly as the sun vanished. It had been pouring down a daily flood for the last month, only stopping briefly in the afternoon for a couple of hours of meager, filtered sunshine. Lantern sat with his back to the entrance of their shelter, staring outside. They had found a small cleft in the base of the rock where they had entered the valley and exploration revealed a cave big enough for the two of them and a large fire. The back wall narrowed into a deep point, leaving plenty of room for storage. They made it home, thus avoiding leaving a scar on the valley that could betray their presence.

"How long does this rain last again?" He spoke without turning.

"Four or five full moons. This is the wet season, Jack."

"Four or five months. Perfect." His mood was sour and he was getting restless.

"Are you hunting soon?" She inquired softly, watching his shoulders bunch.

"Yes, soon." Scowling, he fingered the worn patch of his britches where skin showed through.

They were just about done in and there'd been no sign of game big enough to make new clothing, despite Nuri's assurance they existed on the island. Aside from that, the wind was icy, the ground cold to his bare feet, and the air was heavy with moisture, sinking into his bones. On top of that, he'd cut his finger open on the blade of his knife while sharpening it. Nuri picked up on his mood.

"Will you help me?" He turned at her voice, seeing the leaves they'd pulled from specific trees earlier in her hands.

"Sure." Resettling across from her, Lantern helped strip long fibers from the leaves, then she showed him how to weave them into long, supple ropes. Tension ebbed from him as they worked, and she saw his shoulders relax. They finished four long coils before she paused, her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

"Jack?" He looked up, curious. "Will you teach me English?"

She didn't see the wide smile that creased his features, but she felt the warmth of it spread across her flesh like fire, and she smiled too.

He did not begrudge the fact that she proved to be a much faster student than he had, and with the ability to already communicate, soon they were switching freely between both languages. It was then she began to tell Jack about her people.

"So, your father is the leader of the Aniaya?" It was dark, the chill of the air creeping into the space they shared. Throwing another log into the fire he watched the sparks fly.

"He Chieftain of all Anaiya. We live two days by water from this place, our home another island not big like this." Her hands gestured to the east. "We live on four islands in a few days' travel of this island, for we do well since the days of Gesang."

Her English was greatly improved, though her accent gave her a unique sound when she spoke. The emphasis on her words was the opposite of what he expected, and she still swallowed the sounds somewhat. Lantern found it appealing and was pleased when she expressed a desire to continue learning his words.

"The Anaiya, that is all your people?" He prompted gently.

"Yes." She smiled a little, a certain pride in her tone. "This our home for many generations, since before my grandfather. Every island, several villages. To keep peace, each chieftain give daughters to bravest, strongest warriors on other islands." Her face clouded for a moment. "That why I here. I gave to Topan. He strong, brave...my father make sure he never try to break away from the people."

"Topan..." Lantern's mind swept back to that day among the rocks, a man wearing a ghoulish simian mask brutally beating a helpless woman. "Yes, very brave."