Chapter 1: Fortunes

Hey guys! I decided to post the first chapter since I'm not even sure when Lost Christmas is finished. It's not really fair to make you guys wait for a long time.

Okay, so this story was originally a one-shot, but it was too long. So I guess this can be called a short story...?

Anyways, hope you enjoy the very first chapter of Fateful Encounter!

🌸Cat🌸

I dedicate this chapter to Paintedlotus.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Lucy entered the guild with a huge smile on her face. She happily greeted everyone and walked over to her favorite stool at the bar. Mira was just at the bar, cleaning the cups and other utensils. She noticed Lucy coming over and greeted her "good morning." Lucy returned the welcome and sat down.

Mira smiled. "You seem really happy today. Any special occasions?"

Lucy put her elbow on the table and rested her head against her right fist. The girl wasn't exactly sure why she was so happy, but it just felt so right on this particular day. She looked at the counter of the bar with content and subtly smiled. "No...it...just feels like a good day today..."

Lucy heard someone sigh with relief. She looked over to see Cana drinking a bottle of beer.

"Drinking beer in the morning again Cana?" asked Mira. Cana just flashed a grin and chugged the last drop of beer.

"Mira, more beer please," Cana said with excitement.

"Can I have a strawberry milkshake too Mira-san?" asked Lucy.

Mira gladly said "yes" and went to the back to gather a few things. After she left, Lucy patiently waited for her milkshake to arrive. She suddenly felt an arm around her shoulder. That surprised the celestial spirit mage, making her yelp and slightly jump out of her seat. Lucy quickly turned her head to the side and saw Cana grinning at her.

"You scared me for a second there Cana," Lucy pouted.

The card mage laughed at Lucy and her cuteness, making the celestial spirit mage pout even more. Cana just pats her back.

"Aww don't be like that. You looked really nice with your smile just a while ago." Lucy stared at Cana for a moment and then thanked her for the compliment.

"Tell you what, how about I read your fortune." Cana offered to Lucy.

"W-Well..." Lucy hesitantly said.

"Here's one strawberry milkshake for you," Mira told Lucy and placed the glass in front of the girl.

"Thanks Mira-san!" The white-haired girl smiled.

"And one barrel of beer for you," Mira lifted the barrel over the bar and placed it in front of Cana.

"Thanks Mira!" Cana removed her arm from Lucy's shoulder. Then she wrapped both of her arms around the barrel and lifted it up to consume her beer.

Lucy just stared at the amount of beer Cana was given. She knew that the girl intakes a lot of alcohol, but the fact that the card mage can drink that much still amazes her.

"So I heard you were telling fortunes again Cana," said Mira.

"Yeah. Since Lucy feels like she's having a nice day, might as well read her fortune."

"I just love your fortunes!" Mira faced Lucy and asked her if she was going to accept the offer. Lucy looked at Mira and then Cana. She thought both girls were a little too excited for this, but it wouldn't hurt to get her fortune told. Right?

"All right, I accept your offer." Mira and Cana cheered, making Lucy slightly nervous.

After that, Cana gathered her cards and laid them out in a particular pattern. Mira and Lucy watched the brown-haired girl work her magic. Her undivided attention was solely on the cards. A few minutes later, Cana announced that she finished. Mira and Lucy immediately closed in on Cana and pressed her for an answer. When she lifted her head up, Mira and Lucy saw grin on her face. She also held up a card in her fingers. The image that stands out the most in the card was a big red heart. Confused, Mira and Lucy looked at each other and then looked back at Cana and the card.

"So what does Lucy's fortune say?" asked Mira.

Cana winked and grinned even more. "My card says today's the day of your fateful encounter."

Lucy's mouth slightly opened. She blinked a few times to make sure that it wasn't just a dream. After a few seconds, her face started to turn red and her eyes just widened.

"E-Ehhhhh?!?!?!" Lucy screamed, grabbing the attention of everyone who was currently in the guild. It was a good thing that it was still early in the morning since there wasn't a lot of people. Mira just reassured everyone that everything was fine. Convinced by the girl's words, they just brushed off their curiosity and continued with their previous activities. Mira turned back to the group.

"Aww she's blushing," Cana teased the celestial spirit mage.

Mira quickly grabbed Lucy's hands and looked into her eyes. "So, who do you think is lucky guy?"

"T-There's no guy," Lucy stuttered as she got out of Mira's grip.

"It's not a bad thing to have your fateful encounter. Just think about it." Mira was imagining how things would turn out from Lucy. She was cheering with excitement.

A sweatdrop formed on Lucy's forehead . "I think you're a little too excited about this."

"Mira's right though. I wish I could have a boyfriend," Cana mentioned as she took another sip of her beer.

"B-B-Boyfriend...!" Lucy was just fumbling with words today.

Mira clasped her hands together and jumped with joy. "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!"

"Nothing has happened yet Mira-san!" Lucy argued.

Mira and Cana closed in on Lucy. Both girls had devious smiles on their faces. "Yet." They said in unison, both of them emphasizing the word. Lucy realized that she said "yet." She covered her mouth and blushed even more. Mira and Cana just laughed.

Lucy was flustered. "It's not funny!" The take over mage and card mage continued laughing anyway.

Cana patted Lucy's back a few times. "Cheer up Lucy. At least there's still hope for you."

"What's that suppose to mean?!" Lucy questioned with slight irritation.

"I have faith in you Lucy," Mira encouraged her.

"Not you too Mira-san." Lucy sighed.

"There's no denying it Lucy. My cards don't lie," Cana informed her.

"So basically there's no way out of this," Lucy bluntly said.

"Yep!" Cana lifted her barrel again and chugged down the beer. "Let's celebrate! More beer please Mira!" Cana exclaimed.

"Coming up!" Mira announced and left to get another barrel.

'She already finished that entire barrel!?!?' Lucy just stared in shock at the empty barrel.

Lucy faced forward again. She saw the strawberry milkshake that Mira made for her.

"My card says today's the day of your fateful encounter."

Cana's words continuously repeats in Lucy's head. A sigh escapes her lips. She took the straw from her drink and started to sip her strawberry milkshake.

'This is going to be a long day...'