53

"I can't believe you got me to do this," Quinn whispers, looking around carefully.

In the month from my mother's birthday to the end of June, Quinn was convinced he wouldn't be seeing Finch's Draft Day from anywhere but the TV. Now he's here. In a seat next to me. Hand on my thigh. And he's probably already been on TV with a little banner saying his name and team.

Luke nudges my shoulder. Despite my protests, even my mom said I should sit between those two and not be next to her or Finch. Life is crazy that way. Your own birth giver sticks you between two NHL players at the NHL Draft as if they aren't going to be shown at least twice each. Sometimes together! I have to be on TV more than I might have had to. She knew that. It's why she did it.

"I can't believe you got him to come," Luke says.

"You think if I have to be talked about they'll say Quinn Hughes's girlfriend or Finch Schuyler's sister?" I joke.

"Stop," Quinn mumbles.

His brother laughs. "What is the issue, man? Relax."

"I can't," he shouts back. True to his word, his back stiffens even more. Maybe when it actually starts he'll calm down about it. Honestly, from how he was talking when we were getting ready it seemed he was more worried about Finch than anything else.

"Babe," I say. "It's all going to be fine."

"I think I'm more nervous for this than I was for mine," he admits. "Has anyone told him to not get his hopes up too high? With all the going first talk he's had for so long?"

"He'll be fine," Luke says.

I nod enthusiastically. "Finch doesn't care if he goes last. As long as he goes."

"He's not going anywhere but the top ten, Scout," Quinn argues. When did I ever— No. Nevermind. Not arguing with him even in my head. He's nervous.

The lights shift and Quinn starts tapping his index finger on my leg rapidly. It's starting. I hear my name whisper-yelled and lean forward, looking past Luke to my brother. Finch beams the smile that I swear could make anyone smile right back. Annoying little shit he is, I love this kid. I smile and return to my seat. My hand goes over Quinn's to rub soothing circles on the back of it.

"I hope he's not too nervous," Quinn says just loud enough for me to hear.

I don't have the heart to tell him Finch probably doesn't need any soothing whatsoever. Unlike him.

* * * * *

7 People

rowdy
finch schuyler YOU are an anaheim
duck

zegs
LFG!!!!!!!

tiny
i have never cried more
poor kid might have to play w z :(

zegs
Shut up

rowdy
it's been long enough they should
be answering

moosey
Swear Q almost puked when his
name was said

tiny
LMAO
my fav part was them showing the
three and being like "there's quinn
and luke hughes with finch schuyler's
sister. luke and finch have made good
friends of each other the past year or
so. quinn's also become pretty close
to the girl schuyler. at least that's
what finch said in an interview."

scout
they're right
we have gotten pretty close

quinn
I'm your boyfriend