19

"So replay it again for me," Jack says. He's laying on his couch with the phone held above his face. Not nerve wracking at all.

Trevor groans and this time it isn't complaining about how uncomfy his hotel bed is tonight. "She's replayed it so many times it's got its own highlight reel of every last angle and speed by now."

"The nail color thing is—"

"So sketch." We all say it at the same time. Almost, delay from the phone call. Jack stares at his camera, deadpan, while Z and I laugh our asses off.

Jack huffs. "Sorry for caring."

"Oh god, come on," Z mimics his huff before laughing even more. "That's so good."

They start going back and forth about whether or not the compliment on the nail color was important. If he likes the color, he'll compliment it twice is Z's argument. Jack thinks his brother is playing games to get under my skin. If he is, it's working.

"Should I text him? Call him?"

They both shut up. Trevor Zegras is not one to shut up. You'd think I'd insulted their entire lives and families and everything important to them the way they're staring at their phones so stone-faced.

"Guys, you there?" I mumble. Their stares make me shift nervously in my bed even though they're both thousands of miles away.

"Val should be here for this one," Z says.

Jack bursts into laughter. "She'd go batshit."

"What? It's a good—"

"Dude, you're folding that fast?" Z interrupts.

"I'm not folding."

"Texting or calling the guy would be folding."

I must be blinded by something to not get what's so wrong with texting or calling Quinn. "I'm not asking him on a fucking date or anything."

"Text him," Jack says.

"He's saying that 'cause he wants you as his sister-in-law." Z laughs before cutting his own laugh off. "Not that you two would date or even get married."

"Schuy would love to date him!"

It's my turn to laugh. "I don't think I'd love to date him. I think he'd drive me insane."

"Okay, well, if you text him you're going to end up wanting to." Jack has a point.

"Or we'll be friends and y'know improve quality of life in the friend group!"

"I can't see you and Quinn being anything but enemies or more than friends," Z whispers it. Like it's a secret.

"We can be friends."

Jack winces and sucks in a sharp breath. "Schuy, you guys had all the chances in the world to be friends and you went from hating each other to hooking up."

"How did we have all the cha—"

"You guys know each other like friends do," he says. "Think about it, all the jokes and stories and facts and shit we heard, he heard. You know a bunch about him too just by being around him."

My mind flashes back to my birthday. Before going i. the bar. When Quinn knew that I hate the phrase 'Happy early birthday' without me even remembering telling him.

"You should text him." Z's nodding as though he came up with the idea himself. As if I didn't ask if I should and Jack didn't say to. God, I wish Val were on this call.

* * * * *

scout
probably pretty embarrassing to run into
me while i'm wearing your brother's jersey