04

tiny
be ready by 11!

jean louise
thanks for the amazing context

tiny
swimmin'

jean louise
fucks sake still no context what i'm getting
ready for

tiny
i know!
it's a surprise

jean louise
i don't like those
yk
best friend of many years

tiny
i know
this can be my monthly one

jean louise
okay
love ya

tiny
love ya too dumbass
i'm gonna go clean out the car if u need me

jean louise
YOURE going to clean??

tiny
:)

jean louise
i'll be there in a minute to help

* * * * *

"Don't know how you told time for the past few days," I say as I hold out Jack's watch.

He smiles, taking the watch. "Lifesaver."

"Don't I know it."

"Pretty sure not having it messed up my golf game. Did you wear it?"

"If I did, I wouldn't admit to it."

"Smart."

"Don't I know it," I repeat.

That burning feeling creeps up on me. My head goes toward the end of the dock and sure enough, Quinn Hughes is staring me down over Trevor's shoulder. I raise my hand in a small wave. Choosing that little gesture instead of making some comment on his staring problem. He turns away.

* * * * *

Eavesdropping isn't good. Minding your business is always a good route. Unless your name's in the conversation. Always eavesdrop if people are talking about you when you aren't meant to hear. Or else you'll drive yourself insane thinking about it. Trust me. That's why I'm standing just out of view of the doorway when I hear Jack's voice in the kitchen.

"Schuy's chill. I don't get why you don't like her."

"She's..." Quinn's voice drops off.

"See, you don't even have a reason!"

Quinn shushes him. "I was thinking of the word. She's standoffish."

"What?" Jack laughs the word out.

"She's full of herself and stubborn and it's annoying."

"You're taking it way too seriously. She said it the other day, she's mostly joking."

"It seems like she's joking with everyone but me. You weren't even there at the bar, man. She flipped a switch and was pissed off."

Okay, yeah. He pissed me off a bit. But it wasn't my night. He shot right back too. It's the kind of thing that could have been swept under the rug. Not now. My blood's fucking boiling now. I'm not the best at making new friends because yeah, I am a bit standoffish. It fucks off eventually though and I'd say I'm pretty enjoyable.

I don't think Quinn deserves my enjoyable side.

"Dude, give her a chance."

"I don't want to give her a chance," Quinn snaps. I see we're on the same page. "I want her to relax."