Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I am jerked awake by an obnoxious alarm, breaking me from my slumber. Did I cry last night? I open the camera app on my phone. My eyes are red and puffy as if I've been crying for hours. Yup, I cried. It takes a few minutes, but I manage to roll myself off the mattress and onto the cold, wooden floor. It creates an echoing sound, shaking my dresser and causing all my makeup to fall to the ground.

Shit.

I get to my feet, reorganize my makeup, and head to the bathroom. After nearly an hour, I finally get ready for the day. I quickly check the clock. 9:30. I have 15 minutes to head to the nearest Starbucks and meet up with Ryou. I don't know why he asked me to meet up, but I decided to go as an apology for being rude to him the other day. I quickly grab my keys and dash down the stairs of the apartment complex.

There was nothing special about it, just another dreary apartment in New York City. The walls were painted white, but are now faded to a warmish gray. The wooden railing is smooth and lets my hand glide down the rail, but I occasionally get a prick or two.

I dash out the tinted glass door and head onto the street. The roads are already filled with cars and buses dashing left to right. I head toward the crowd of people waiting to cross the crosswalk. I stand around at the edge of the crowd. People aren't my thing. It never was. It was a miracle that I ever made friends because I wasn't the type to go waltzing around and creating small talk. Most of my (ex) friends were the ones that created the bond. Without that first move, we would only be distant strangers. The same format happened with Ryou and me. We seem like complete opposites. He was always the star of the crowd, the popular one, the athletic one, you name it. Whereas I was the girl who was failing calculus, the bookworm, the girl whose boyfriend died. The last one takes me aback. 

Dammit, why can't I stop thinking about him? I attempt to push the thought to the side as the sign turns white and I step on the concrete ground. The tiny pieces of concrete brush against my brown sandals. I take a deep breath of the air, forgetting I'm in NY. The smell of pollution hits me like a truck. Note to self, never try to smell nature when you're downtown.

I scan my surroundings, distracting myself from the thought of Noah. Suddenly, I became aware that I was already walking through the entrance of Starbucks.

Crap, what am I doing? Why am I even here? Is it too late to leave? I nearly drown in my thoughts before a handsome Ryou taps my shoulder.

"Hey, Willow!"