Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I sigh while I slowly walk down the concrete stairs. That meeting was a disaster. Not only was I late, but I bombed every question. Even my name! Who's ever heard of Wallow? My name is Willow!

I was entirely unprepared for that interview. First of all, I was late because Levi refused to hang up. Second of all, I was completely unprofessional. My posture was arched, I wasn't neatly presented, and I didn't properly answer the question. I guess Levi was right about having a plan.

I let my hands brush over the worn-out metal of the railing. I guess I just spaced out because a few seconds later, I found myself tripping and coming in near impact with the ground. I braced for impact but after a few seconds, I realized I didn't hit the floor. It was as if someone was holding me back. I opened my eyes and turned around to find a young man holding me by the collar. My eyes widened when I recognized who it was.

Ryou. One of the many friends I pushed away before college. I would usually ask about his Japanese heritage because I was so fascinated by their culture. We were alike in so many different ways. We were meant to be friends. Or at least, before I shut him out. I guess he might have recognized me too, because he stared at me for a few seconds before his face was overcome with shock. I quickly pull away from his grasp.

"Thank you." I quickly thanked him and attempted to run back to my apartment, but he followed.

"Wait! Willow! Come back!" Ryou kept on calling my name, but I simply ignored it. The last thing I needed was a sentimental reunion. I almost got away from him until the crosswalk sign put me to a halt. Red. Ryou caught up to me quickly. I wasn't surprised. He played lots of sports back in high school, so he wasn't tired from chasing me down the street. When he finally reached me, he had a desperate look on his face.

"Willow, please." He tried to get ahold of my arm but I shook him off.

"Listen, we aren't friends anymore. It was nice while it lasted, but that doesn't mean you can shout my name repeatedly while chasing me down the street." I shouldn't be so cold at him, but I didn't need this happening today.

The crosswalk sign turned white, signaling now was the time to escape. I stomped my way down the crosswalk and opened the door to my apartment building. I was so relieved to be back home until I fished through my pocket and couldn't find my phone

Crap.