Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I watched the busy streets of New York through the rain-stained window. The constant honks of cars speeding by and the tap of the rain drifted me out of my thoughts. I shifted my focus to the stacks of damp boxes, surrounding the area.

"You going to unpack or what?"

I turned to face Levi, standing before the white, bleak door. "In a minute," I responded. I haven't interacted much with people in a few years, but Levi was one of the closest people to me.

He knew what it felt like to lose a loved one. I didn't have to explain it. I got up from my crouched position and headed toward the small couch. I grunted softly as my hands barely lifted the side of the couch tipping over, and threatening to crash down on the delicate, carpeted floor. I could feel my hands wobble underneath the crushing weight. How much does this thing even weigh? I focused my vision on the smirking Levi, watching me struggle. "Are you gonna help or what?"

"Yeah, yeah, I will," he chuckled. He walked up to the other side of the hand-crushing couch and hosted the other side up. "Man, what is this thing made of? Bricks?"

"Or maybe you're just weak," I laughed. It's been a while since I joked around. I tried to navigate where my surroundings were using my foot, then slowly let the couch fall to the floor. "Phew, that seemed like it would have taken forever!"

"Or maybe," Levi grinned, "You're just weak." I fell to the floor this time. I laughed so hard I thought I might choke. Maybe it was time I got a taste of my own medicine. I kept snickering on the floor until I realized Levi wasn't laughing. I slowly got up from my crouched position onto my knees.

"What?" I asked. He didn't respond but looked down at his feet.

"Are you going to live here? I don't mind you living with us.." I could see the tears bubbling up in his eyes. I frowned. Stupid Levi, making me all sentimental. I stared at the ground for a bit but then quickly got up onto my feet. I dashed past the couch and hugged him tightly, pulling him into my arms. Finally, he started wailing as his salty tears rolled down his cheek. I simply just patted him on the back and smiled slightly.

"It's going to be fine, Vi," I assured. "You can still visit from time to time."He sniffed the last of his tears away and pulled back to face my unsure smile. "It's just...It won't be the same without you," he huffed. "Don't you know how important you are to me? You're the only person I can talk to...The only person who gets it..."

"I know Vi. I know."