𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

【 One look, dark room - You are in love 】

"Hi" I said not being able to look away from his re-dyed bubblegum pink hair

"Hey" He responded, turning around from the board I had started shaping a few short days ago, I wasn't that far into it, since I hadn't had time with all the surfing I've been doing, but it's something.

"I see, you've been looking at my work" I put my bag down, which makes it possible to take a look at the insides if you look in the right angle.

"That's yours?" He said with surprise in his voice, pointing at the barely started board, I really liked the shape, it gave it personality, what a shame it's for Marlon, I wouldn't have a problem keeping it. "Sick." 

 He started heading towards what I assumed was his board, and he grabbed it off the rack, and made a head motion my way so I would follow him, with a small grin on his face. I hurriedly ran my sweating hands through my hair, and snatched the board from the wall, and followed Baxter into the other room. He had already set up some of the stuff he would need and a mask for me, since he didn't know what I would be working on.

"Do you come here a lot?" He said as he set down the boards and ran his hands through it. He had already started adding colour to it, it was a very rich shade of purple which really drew your eyes to it. 

"Just when I need to get away, or when surfing gets too much, there's something relaxing about crafting a surfboard, it's a great place to get away." I set down my board as well and put my hair up in a messy bun missing some of my shorter strands. "There's still a really stressful part to it though." He chuckled lightly at my not so funny joke and put the mask on and so did I. 

"Don't judge me if I'm bad, I'm still learning," His eyes squinting from an assumed smile. "You know, I had an apprenticeship up in Queensland until we had to move. It's just a great place to get away" I chuckle stupidly at the last sentence, and he smiles back at me.

We start working on our boards and having some butterfly causing eye contact that is to die for, I sanded my board a little more, as he prepared the resin to coat his board with. I couldn't help looking up from time to time, his tank top just really makes him muscles show and that's got me weak on my knees. 

"Come over here." He says as he brings the resin over to where his board is set. He smiles up at me, and starts pouring the resin on the board, and hands me a tool for spreading it across. I start doing it, doubting my skill a little, since my hands have been shaking the entire time, and start spreading it. When I thought I had some control over my hands, he grabs the end of the tool and starts spreading with me, my heart started beating  a thousand beats per minute and I really believed it would shoot out of my chest in any second, and I think he could hear it since he started laughing at me, or maybe it was my expression ratting me out. "You have a cute look on your face when you're nervous did you know that?" What the hell did he just say? How did he so casually say that and then went back to shaping two seconds after, I don't think this man realizes how much I want him to be mine, otherwise he wouldn't be saying all this.

"No? How did you realize?" I said handing him the tool fully, and crossing my arms, my heart still beating at the speed of light, and still putting my attention fully into his answer, I was genuinely interested in his answer, had he been watching me?

"Well, at comps you can really tell you're nervous and you do this thing with your eyebrows, I can't quite describe it, and your eyes dart all around you." He says, putting the tool away and lifting his mask, showing a grin that I only expected the gods to have. "And sometimes you bite your lip, just sometimes though." He says and waits for me to take my mask off and follow him out the door. I kneeled down to pick up my very heavy bag when we  reached the entrance, and followed him out. 

"Where are we going?" I said trying to catch up with him. 

"Do you have a bike?" He asks. 

"I drove here." I pointed to my car, and he looked at it, a smirk appearing on his face.

"Even better." 

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

"Thanks, man" Baxter said to the guy at the cart, as we got our milkshakes. He wanted to get lemonade, but I think my idea was way better. 

"Shockingly, my mom is the only one that is actually supporting me with my surf career now that I didn't make it into the state team." I said taking a sip of my chocolate mint milkshake, no one will ever convince me it's a bad flavor, it's by far the best. And I'm not saying my friends aren't being supportive, since they have way too much pressure on them at the moment, I just wished they were there for me as much as I'm there for them all the tine.

"She's not the only one." He said swiftly, following me from behind. That kind of shocked me into place, what did he mean by that?

"Wait, what?." I said in confusion. 

"Well, you know. You're an incredible surfer, and you cannot deny that, and I've seen the way Marlon talks to you he's definitely supporting you." He said as he caught up with my pace.

"That's not how me and Marlon work though, he kind of  teases me and acts like he hates me, and I hate him and tease him back, that's it. And I remind you he didn't make it into the team either, so it doesn't count." 

"Who said I wasn't supportive?"

"Well, we're not really friends, we just...train together." I say trying to play it casual but OH MY GOD, what the fudge is going on.

"So we're not friends?" I don't really know, are we? All I know is I have a big fat crush on him that only evolves with the sight of him.

"I don't know you tell me."

"I'd say yes." 

"Okay, then." I say not being able to hold the smile back. He thinks we're friends! Thats something. "Sorry for the question, but since we are friends, why did you move here?" I know I already know why, I made sure I knew everything about him the second after I realized I had a teeny tiny thing for him, but I just wanted to hear it come out of his mouth, and it's a good way of making conversation. 

He stops for a second before answering but starts walking along with me. "Alright, so last year at nationals I'm on team Queensland, yep?" He asks as he throws his empty cup away, and slowly takes mine away and takes a sip of it, okay, hot. "And it all comes down to us and New South Wales." He says as he stops walking and gets closer to my face, making me able to feel his breathing. "They chuck our gear up a tree to try and psych us out." He shakes his head as he takes another sip from my milkshake, please just kiss me already. "Didn't work. We destroyed them on the water. And then we partied in front of their Boardriders clubhouse just to rub it in." He said smiling, and I couldn't help smiling back. "And then, um... someone dared me to set fire to their team banner." The smile faded away from his face as he said this, I felt bad for even asking. 

"No more clubhouse?" I asked trying to make things better, but clearly it didn't work since the same expression was still tattooed all over his face. 

"Minor damage." Okay maybe I did make it better, a few points for me, in Marlons face. I actually think I might have a chance of getting with Baxter, I'm being able to keep conversation and he doesn't seem too bored of me yet.

"So you're not a hardened criminal?" I asked, taking my milkshake back and taking a sip, as I continued walking. 

"No." He responded, still looking over at the beach with his hands on his hips.

"So disappointing."