Air

The sky was dark and gray, although the sun had yet to set, it hid itself behind the clouds whilst they danced along the afternoon sky.
In the brightly lit classroom sat Arthur who stared out into the distant horizon from the nearby window. He closed his eyes while his teacher still gave the lesson, his fingers began mimicking the movements of the piece inside his mind and soul.
As he did, thunder could be heard in the distance and yet through all the fierceness of the weather, the gloom and doom of the clouds, Arthur found gentleness as the breeze moved the sturdy green leaves from the trees.

The teacher began to notice Arthur thinking he was asleep, thus he slowly spoke up a bit louder trying to catch the attention of the boy who was on a voyage of his own accord.
"Arthur"! The teacher spoke louder. As he did so, the whole class turned towards Arthur who turned pale and jumped from his seat.
"Pay attention please" he said with a frown of disappointment. "Yes sir" Arthur replied as he began blushing for he was one who disliked being signaled out in front of all.

After class was over, Arthur went to his locker to gather his belongings, as he was putting in his combination he was stopped by a familiar voice. "Yo!"

Turning around, he saw a very energetic and smiling Eli. "What's up, how was class?" He asked as he went to open his locker too.
"It was class, I'll tell you that much. And yours?"

Eli who seemed to struggle to get his open looked over to his friend and smiled. "Yes" he said jokingly and the two laughed.
"Good or bad you still always have that smile"

"Well, if we were all glum as you it'd be pretty depressing I tell ya" he said as he chuckled.

"WHAT!!" Arthur cried. "Im not depressing, my eyes are just droopy. I can't help it"
"Im kidding!! Don't cry about it, but anyways, you got practice today? I didn't see Mrs. Beatrice".

Arthur closed his locker and put on a very elegant black coat. "No, she told us she was sick and wanted to rest for the concert Thursday"  

"I see" replied Eli as he had put on his coat as well which was more sporty, and matched his attire well.

"Ready to go then?" "Of course" said Eli but as they took their initial steps, a young lady with long straight brown hair stopped by her locker opposite side from theirs. Her face was serious but not unapproachable.

Eli couldn't help but tease Arthur and poked his sides with his right elbow. "Let's go" Arthur said with his head down, his checks became visibly red.

"Hey Bridgette" Eli spoke and Arthur froze in his tracks. She turned around neither smiling nor frowning. "What's up?" She said with a very mature sounding voice.

"Oh you know, the same old. I wanted to say hello since I haven't seen ya in a minute"

"But we have second period together" she said in confusion.
"Ah, that's not what I mean, I mean we haven't spoke in a good while. You're always runnin' off ya know"

"Well I have things to do but you can always say hi at least, I'm not gonna bite" as she said those words she noticed Arthur who was looking into space.
"Hey" she said as she looked towards him.

Arthur who was always so nervous jumped up. She smiled and chucked. "No need to get nervous"

"Oh yeah" said Arthur. Eli who could feel his embarrassment and shyness tried to help him out. "He's just not feeling well today. He has an important concert coming up soon!"

"Yea I know, he's performing right after me"

Eli who kept trying to play dumb to keep the conversation going continued to ask questions. "Ah! So you're both playing that night. Nice nice" he said with a smug face.

"So Arthur who's better, you or her?" (Please Arthur, you got this) Eli declared in his head as he tried to help out his dear friend.

Arthur who was still trying to break out of that shell knew what he was trying to do, and went along, he tried to clear his throat and make his voice slightly deeper. But before he could even speak Bridgette cut him off.

"Haha, we both know it's you Arthur" she said smiling.

Arthur who was shocked and couldn't hide his surprised expression saying. "Ohhh, thank you. I always thought I was the worst one if I'm being honest"

Bridgette who was shocked to hear that had her eyes become wider and wider. "No way, I could only dream to ever play like you do, but I really like your improvisation. It's always so peaceful and calm. Keep it up"

After saying that, her phone vibrated and she checked it immediately. "Oh well, I got to go guys. It was nice talking to you both. Take care! Bye." She said as she walked down the hall.

Arthur who held on to the straps of his book bag watched her walk off and when she was out of sight turned around to see Eli who seemed extremely happy.

"Ohhhhh!!" He said with a smile about him. "What what?!" Arthur demanded to know what that was about.
"She likes you my boy, or... she's interested I guess"

"Don't say stuff like that, she was just being nice to me and she seemed to talk to you more than I"

Eli put his hand on Arthur shoulder. "No way man, she definitely seems to admire you. Well let's just take things slow I guess. You just gotta fix that bad habit Arthur"

"My nervousness?"

"Habits I should say, your nervousness, overthinking, low self esteem, AHH! Quite a bit thing now that I think about it more" Eli said out-loud and teacher in the distance poked her out her class room yelling "SHHHHHH" very loudly.

"Sooorrry" Eli said and Arthur cringed and felt embarrassed after that.

"Well anyway, we're only in October, you still got time buddy" Arthur who again put his eyes down and then raised them up slightly.

"I know that but this is my final chance before the end Eli"

"Don't worry, I'm always here for ya. One step at a time. As they say; Rome wasn't built in a day"

Arthur who smiled slightly looked up at his best friend. "Ah, you're right. Thanks man! Let's go home then".