33

chapter thirty-three

"the blood is still fresh, they couldn't have gone too far," Yanmei announced while Katara healed her wound.

Sokka laid a hand in her shaking thigh, "we'll find them as soon as you're healed. you cant go out there like this."

"I can handle the pain, Keera can't, she's just a child," she put her head in her hands, "they took a child."

"we'll find her. I promise," Sokka stood up, "Haru, how fast can you get a message to the White Lotus?"

"with the fastest messenger hawk...two hours"

"that's too long," the leader began to pace, "go ahead and send a message, then I need you to take Aala to scout for the soldiers that took Keera. take Appa's whistle so that we can track you"

Aang handed his whistle to Haru who nodded, "I won't take long"

Katara finished healing Yanmei only a few extra moments after Haru had left. everyone gathered their things and head over to Appa who's waiting behind the row of buildings.

Sokka sat beside Yanmei on the saddle with Toph and Katara across from them. Aang sat anxiously at the reigns, waiting for their signal.

Sokka took notice of Yanmei's jittery legs and placed a hand on her thigh once again, looking into her eyes, "Yanny...we're going to get her back"

Yanmei intertwined their fingers, looking down at their hands in her lap, "she doesn't deserve this"

"none of us want it to be this way"

"your lives were normal while I was gone. all i've done is fuck things up again," she looked out into the darkening sky, using the serene view to try and calm her mind, "this wouldn't be happening if I just stayed hidden"

Sokka used his free hand to turn her head back to him. he saw the fear, guilt, and terror in her eyes. he hated that look in her eyes he sadly knew well.

"this is not your fault, Yanmei," she looked up at his serious tone, "this is Alzitan's fault. they marched an army towards our home and took our child. nothing about my life has ever been normal, but being with you makes it all worth it. I'll fight in wars for the rest of my life if it means that you'll be by my side"

Yanmei's chest tightened at his words, and in that moment she felt the most normal she ever had in her life. He wanted to stand with her and fight, to take revenge on Alzitan, and bring their child home. once this all ended, Yanmei wanted nothing more than to continue this normalcy with her found family.