25

chapter twenty-five

chapter twenty-five

"I have to meet with the town council and some shop owners. damn, who know how much this town relies on us, right?"

"okay. have fun"

Sokka shuffles through the apartment as he tries to rush and grab all of his things that he needed for the day,  "I probably won't be back until after sunset so i'll bring you some dinner"

"okay. have fun"

the water tribe boy stops what he's doing and looks back at his girlfriend sitting by the window with a raised brow. they had came back from the Fire Nation the day before, and when they got home she was speaking in full sentences, but ever since she woke up it's been short and simple words.

Sokka didn't know the thoughts running through her head, or understand the hurt she was going through, but what he did know is that he hated seeing Yanmei like this. he hated that he couldn't help her or magically take her pain away with one of his corny jokes.

Yanmei noticed that he was watching her and turned her vision away from the town and towards him, "I'm fine, Sokka. you can go"

she knew that he was hesitant to leave. she could see it in his eyes. but truthfully, she wanted him to go. she wanted to be alone. he hadn't left her side since they set foot back on Earth Kindom land. she wanted some time to herself. she needed time to herself.

"I love you. I'll be back as soon as I can"

Yanmei nodded, "take your time, meat head"

that sentence clarified to Sokka that Yanmei would be okay without him for the day. he hadn't heard her call him that nickname in years, but he knew that it was her way of saying 'I love you too'.

she turned back to towards the window, resting her head on the wooden wall behind her. from her view up high she could see streets of people laughing and smiling. they all acted without a care in the world, all just happy to be alive. she wanted nothing more than to be like them.

the door to their apartment shut soon after, meaning that Sokka had left. Yanmei let out a breath of relief the second she was alone. it was just relief for being alone, but also for the fact that the burden that had been on her shoulders was finally gone.

she was finally free. free of Shan Haku and his family, free of the Fire Nation's control on her. and for the time being, she was free of Xuan Yige's influence. there was no more burning hatred, no sadness for what could've been, nothing.

she was free, and she felt nothing.

it was for the best. when she did feel something, her emotions were on overdrive. everything she felt turned into power, whether it be brute strength or her bending. she knew just how powerful she could be, even her friends had seen it first hand.