24

chapter twenty-four

chapter twenty-four

the following day was, coincidentally, the most beautiful day of the year for the Fire Nation. the air was warm, not a cloud in the sky, and the small breeze of spring made it more comforting as the newly blossomed trees and flowers swayed to the beat of the sky. with summer approaching on the horizon children were playing outside in yards, ecstatic for school to end so that they could go to the beaches and spend time with their families.

for the Royal Palace this meant preparing for summer festivities, switching out seasonal decorations displayed along the palace, and cleaning up from the aftermath of the Fire Lords honored guests. what was supposed to be the welcoming of an formerly banished citizen and an important meeting for team Avatar suddenly became a week of unwanted surprises and mourning.

the main receiver of these painful occurrences had yet to see this beautiful day. she remained asleep throughout the busy morning, completely oblivious to the loud commotion surrounding the room she slept in.

her boyfriend sat on the edge of the bed, watching how peaceful she looked as she slept. in a totally non-creepy way by the way. he just didn't want to wake her up quite yet. a number of things had corrupted her this past week, leaving a permanent look of sadness on her face whenever she was awake. he just wanted to see her in a state of peace.

Yanmei didn't wake up until around noon. at that point the sun peaked threw the windows enough to wake her from her much needed slumber. feeling a hand intertwined with hers, she opened her eyes to see Sokka looking down at her with a soft smile.

"good morning, well actually good afternoon now. I probably should've woke you up for breakfast but I knew you needed some sleep"

Yanmei's lips curled up a tiny bit at his soft nature towards her. with the others he would've woken them up immediately and probably yelled at then to get up, but with her he was always so gentle and kind.

"I wouldn't have minded... though I do mind the fact that you were watching me sleep," a soft smirk fell on her lips, "creeper"

Sokka blushed. he didn't realize she knew that he was watching her, "I-I'm not a creeper! I was just...I thought you looked cute and ended up admiring you for a while"

"mhm, and that just so happened to be for a couple hours"

"it wasn't two hours...more like...thirty minutes give or take a minute or two"

Yanmei laughed, "you're a total creeper. i'm going to tell Katara"

"am not!"

"are to!"

Sokka couldn't help but raise their hands to kiss her knuckles, then bend down to give her a loving kiss on the lips.

"what was that for?" Yanmei grinned. she'd take a kiss like that any day of the week.