28

chapter twenty-eight

"MEAT!" three hungry voices shout as they run into the main dining area of the house. Katara didn't even have to tell them what she and Yanmei were making, they all could smell the delicious food.

"meat for breakfast?! you are the woman of my dreams" Sokka gushes as he kisses his girlfriend on the cheek.

Yanmei smiles as she watches Toph and and Keera drool, "don't get used to it... and control those two before they go crazy"

"i've never had Yanmei's cooking but it smells so good," Toph whispers to the young child, "I bet it's even better than Katara's"

the girl in topic turns her head, "are you calling my cooking skills bad?"

Toph shrugged, "they could be better"

the two then got into another one of their arguments. Yanmei had discovered that this was a normal occurrence since the two met.

"alright! everyone go to the table please, ill bring out the food once it's done!" Yanmei announced to the group. they all hurried to the table to get ready for the meal. Keera sat on Sokka's lap so that he could help her with her food.

as Yanmei put the food on the table, there was a knock on the front door which Aang answered.

"Haru! good to see you again, what are you doing here so early?" the Avatar opened the door wider so that their friend could enter the home.

"would you like to join us? we have plenty" Yanmei smiled as she sat down beside Sokka.

"I just ate but thank you for the offer. I actually came to talk to Sokka and Aang. urgent council matters"

Katara furrowed her brows, "but you're not on the council"

Sokka handed Keera over to Yanmei, "he's been working with us while in town. don't worry, we won't be long"

the three young men then moved to the backyard of the home to talk in private. the girls looked at each other with questioning gazes.

"Sokka never abandons meat for work, he must know something is wrong" Katara pointed out.

"well what could be the issue? I thought things were going well here" Yanmei questions as she cuts up Keera's plate of food.

Toph eats a big bite of food before answering, "Haru works as an investigator and messenger for the whole of the Earth Kingdom. this may not be Cranefish business, but more of a larger scale issue"

Keera looks up at Yanmei with worry, "are we in trouble?"

the oldest woman shakes her head, "no, sweetie. let's eat before the food gets cold. the boys will be back to join us soon"