Gotchard Episode 5 Review

I can understand people feeling disappointed that the Dark Sisters actually have a master, Geryon. Don't know for sure if he's sealed or their boss demanding their orders, but at the same time, they're still the main threat and active Big Bads until their inclusion. Heck, we aren't even sure of their gender just yet.

I've heard criticisms that the monsters of the week in Kamen Rider aren't as threatening anymore, so with the lack of foot soldiers, making each Malgram and their victim focus is one of the biggest strengths. Clotho's all about finding worther fighters for their agenda and with Goriki's power and wrath, they make this episode's conflict even stronger.

Now I'm just as dumb as Hotaro, because I didn't notice the Gotchard combinations spelled a number either, and I was excited to get more time with Renge and Sabimaru. Her trying to nickel and dime him out of approximately hundred dollars, but Hotaro's words encouraging him to just drop the cash as Isaac demands them to come with him, was priceless!

And then Rinne like "wait me too," as Hotaro has to drag her with them was just adorable.

The yakuza coming to shakedown a gym is something I think is possible, gang wars over territory is nothing new, but given Japan's strict gun laws, them initially pulling up with shovels and pickaxes before a freaking wrestling doll beats the crap out of them was a gut wrencher. Then, they all start pulling out guns...which I'm glad they didn't start shooting, but given they were like "yo we need to start guns blazing," I was a bit surprised they didn't just do it. But it made it all the funnier when Hotaro transformed into BulletChocho for Rinne to start firing.

The persistence Hotaro showed in this episode was admirable. He took back breaker after back breaker in both Rider and human form from every wrestler possible. Watching everyone, even Rinne start cheering him on and believing in him was a sight to behold as the fight began.

Sabimaru and Renge defending Hotaro from Spanner made me respect them a lot more. I could see people arguing it feels a little forced but Hotaro was willing to trade with them in episode four, he earned Sabimaru's respect, and he saved them from getting shot by gang leaders. Rinne popping in to make it a four v one just to make Spanner leave said a lot.

Koichiro Asahi and Wrestler G was the big turning point for this season. While four was the strongest story wise, this changed the game because it's now the first instance where we see Chemies and humans can bond with one another with benevolence. Asahi's whole whole dream being crushed by Goriki's rage when all he wants to do is train the next generation of wrestlers is tragic.

He doesn't have the physical prowess for pro wrestling, doesn't have the students who he can teach, and doesn't have the strength to take on the land sharks who want to evict him out of their land. If you struggle with making your protagonist's struggling to have issues that make them likable but with enough issues for people to feel bad for them, I think this is a good compromise.

I've heard Wizard has a problem where people focus too much on the characters of the week, but as someone who saw Ghost and didn't mind it there, I like Gotchard either uses it for Hotaro's growth or to flesh out their cast.