Story of My Life

"Here."

Giovanni slams a plate of food in front of me before walking off to his seat. I couldn't care less, though; I just stare at him for a few more seconds before looking down. The aroma was enticing, and as much as I resented him right now, hunger prevailed. He had prepared loaded potatoes for me, a dish I had been craving for a long time.

"I can't get a thank you?" he asks me as I'm in the midst of putting steak in my mouth.

"You want me to thank you for feeding your child... and oh, your fiancé?" I ask in disbelief, emphasizing the latter. I shoot him a dirty look before redirecting my attention to my food.

As expected, we're not really on speaking terms. However, he follows me everywhere I go, and I haven't left the house for a couple of days. I miss my friends so much, but he couldn't care less. He claims I have to make up for the time he missed out on, but I see it as his way of trying to control everything.

I sometimes find myself thinking that he confuses the definitions of control and love. While I know he loves our baby, I can't shake the feeling that he loves it more as a symbol of me being trapped..

"Giovanni, I want to see my friends." I state after some time.

"No," he responds without looking at me, taking less than a second to reply. I just look down, staring deeply into nothing. I don't have the energy to argue with him, so I wallow in my thoughts. The hunger is gone; I've lost my appetite.

A few minutes pass in silence. Giovanni is just sitting next to me, scrolling aimlessly through his phone. I decide to get up, pushing my chair back to be able to move freely.

"Finneas," he calls out, but I ignore him and head to the stairs. I despise them because by the time I make it to the last step, I'm always out of breath.

Before I can make it to the third step, Giovanni is behind me with his hand on my back. I don't resist as he guides me back to the dining table.

"Giovanni, I'm tired." I complain but he sits me back down.

"I didn't spend hours in the kitchen just for you to waste your food."

"Well I'm not hungry anymore." I say quickly.

"You're not leaving this table until you're done," he declares, and I just laugh. He must have mistaken me for the child in my stomach.

I push the plate towards him before reaching for my phone, but I saw it coming. He snatches my phone away, making me laugh again. I lean back in my chair with a smile, rubbing my stomach. I don't care if I'm being petty; if he wants to treat me like a child, I'll act like one.e.

"I promise you, I will make it to where you won't ever see your friends again..."

"Blah blah blah." I cut him off making him raise his voice but then he goes silent. Good thing looks can't kill. He snatches the plate and throws it away in the trash can, causing it to shatter.

I don't care that he's angry, but I also know that it's not getting me anywhere.

"I just want to see my friends."

"Say it again." He threatens grabbing my face.
"Watch what happens, you aren't leaving this fucking house until I think you deserve it. This is the last time I want to hear it come out of your mouth." He snatches my face away and I immediately start crying. I sob into my hands not being able to control myself.

"And you say you love me but you're treating me like this?"

"Oh my- you fucking crybaby! You think I want to hear to  this every fucking day!" He's back in my face screaming.