Chapter 7 - Cursed Contract

Life Update: I'm still alive. Surprisingly. *plays 'Never Gonna Give You Up' on a kazoo*

________________________________________________________________________

Before entering the Nether you had thought standing by a lava pool in a cave was unbearably hot. Now you thought of it as refreshing.
Seriously, you were hella glad to be out of there. (Pun intended)

Zero out of five stars, bad spot for vacation. You did not recommend.

Especially not after 'befriending' the God of Doom and Destruction.

You basically stumbled out of the portal this time and fell to your hands and knees, scraping them on the cold stone ground. With a huff you got back up and straightened your posture.

Remembering who would follow you through, you turned back to the portal to stare at it and ponder. 

How the hell were you supposed to tell him the coast was clear?

Maybe he'd come through by himself?

You decided to wait for a moment. Nothing happened. It was awkward and quiet. Only the occasional blubb blubb from the lava was heard.

You groaned in annoyance and looked around. What the hell were you supposed to do to let him know?! Go back? Certainly not. Traveling through portals was your least favorite thing to do-

You looked around for a stone to throw through the portal. Mayber that'd might help. Before you could find a fiiting one however, the portal began to glow brighter.

The faint noises it used to make grew louder, the hypnotic swirling picked up its pace.

You gulped loudly and took several steps back.

The glowing, violet surface rippled like water. More and more violently, until it bulged and cascaded down onto the floor. From there a dark shadow emerged, growing and shaping itself.

Your eyes widened. Now you clearly didn't expect that! (Herobrine, the one hopefully coming through right now, most likely didn't either.)

The sahdow manifested itself in front of your very eyes. First the glowing eyes, then the rest of his body.

Oh. He was still stuck in this beast-like stage. Still cursed.

The violet stuff from the purple retreated back to the frame to swirl there in a more proper manner.

Herobrine examined the cave, then himself. When he saw his clawed hands he frowned. Apparently he wasn't happy to be still cursed either.

He seemed a lot calmer than you expected him to be upon his arrival in the overworld. His brother's (and arch-nemesis') dimension.

His gaze landed on you.

For a second his expression was unreadable, making you nervous. Then it changed to slightly judgemental. He huffed, prompting you to say something.

I thought you would help me break the curse?

You recognized the unspoken question and fumbled for your words.

"Well, uh... I genuinely thought returning to the overworld would be enough. But apparently not..."

He huffed again, annoyed.

"I know! I know!" (You didn't actually know for sure.)

"I said I would help you, right?"

He nodded. You sighed, barely able to believe you were saying this.

"I like to keep my promises. So I will keep helping you. But in return, I'd like you to spare me, when the time of your revenge comes. Okay?"

He seemed insulted at the mention of his revenge. You weren't sure why. He was the God of Destruction. Wasn't revenge what he was seeking?

Anyhow, he thought about your words for a while longer. Eventlually he nodded, agreeing to your little contract.

You nodded back.

"Then it's official. We're a sworn team now!"

Herobrine grumbled, clearly unimpressed by the newest addition to his allies. But what other choices did he have? So far, none. So he had to suck it up.

"Okay, curses aren't broken by sitting around in caves, so let's get outta here, aye?" You asked, before turning around and making your way back to the surface.

You heard the cursed God behind you get up and follow you. As you passed your torches, his looming shadow danced across the uneven stone walls. His shadow was almost scarier than he himself. Plus, the cold glow of his eyes illuminated a good part of the cave as well, making your own shadow fall onto the floor in front of you.

This was probably the most surreal cave experience you ever had...

Thankfully the mouth of the cave came into view and behind it the sky. Oh how much you actually missed the sky! You could see the orange hues of dusk begin to settle into the blue.

You quickened your steps, eager to get out of the cave at last. But then something strange caught your eye.

Blue took over the sky again. But not your average sky blue. No. It was a much brighter, more energetic blue. Accompanied by noises very similar to the nether portal.

You halted. What was happening? Behind you, Herobrine froze as well. You sensed him tense up, a low growl vibrating in his throat.

More noises came from outside. Boots hitting the ground. The clatter of equipment and clanking of armor. Voices you didn't recognize started talking to one another as the blue light in the sky faded again.

"Alright. This is the only entrance to the cave system underneath this mountain. The plan is simple: Locate Portal. Close portal. Scan area with drones."

"Yes sir!" Multiple voices replied.

You had a hunch about who these people were, but you were very hesitant to find out.

Herobrine on the other hand wasn't as hesitant as you. He wouldn't wait for the Mojang troup to finish setting up.

He grabbed you by your backpack with his teeth and yanked you over his shoulder. Your surprised and frightened yelp got silenced by a faceful of dark brown fur. Instinctively you held on tight, barely registering your position on his back.

Without a second thought, the God of Destruction hightailed out of the cave.