Chapter 4 >Cursed Devil<

Your breath hitched in your throat. You sweat profusely, not only from the hellish heat of the Nether, but also from fear.

Unable to tear your widened eyes away from the deadly beast in front of you, you still took shaky steps backwards.

The beast kept growling and for each step you took backwards, it made one step forward.

Eventually, your back hit another column of basalt. You were trapped.

Still staring into those bright, white eyes, that were focused on you with a deadly promise, your mind raced.

Did Mojang add a new mob or what?? Couldn't be, they would have notified everyone.

Then what was that thing!?

The rumbling noise from when you first opened up the portal came back to your mind, together with the legends you've heard about the last battle, the seal and the god of destruction.

Could it be....?

Was it true?

You frantically searched your mind for any information about the evil god. But all that was there, was, that he was supposed to be disfigured now and had glowing white eyes at all times...

Hold up, weren't you staring right into them....?

"A-Are you...." You swallowed hard, before you could work up the courage to say his damned name. "He-Hero-b-brine....?"

The beast stopped moving. It's eyes weren't as narrowed anymore and it growled less louder. Almost as if it was listening to you now. However it was still clearly hostile.

Great, you caught its actual attention. And now?

Quick! Think of something that could save you!

You took a deep breath. If you wanted to stay alive, it was your best bet to make him your ally, right? Otherwise you'd just be his next meal. And then he'd look for your portal and bring chaos and destruction to the overworld. But if you'd helped him, he would do too... However you would stay alive then... Possibly.

Was it a cowardish decision? Considering that the overworld will burn anyways, now that you opened a portal, it didn't matter if you'd stay alive or not. And who knew? Maybe you wouldn't even, even if you helped? It was probably more a selfish decision. But you shrugged it off, wanting to save your life. Right now, it didn't matter to you, if this turned almost the entire world against you. You were willing to take the risk. Besides.... Maybe you could influence him not to go on a rampage....? That however seemed very unlikely.

You opened your mouth to speak.
"I-I could help you escape this dimension...! Or break the curse! Just.... Don't eat me, p-please...!"

Unable to withstand his glare any longer, your closed your eyes tightly, waiting for something to happen. What if you said something wrong and it hurt his pride? What if he didn't want help? This could've made him even angrier!

Fear struck you again, while you waited, expecting to be killed in the worst possible way.

But no pain met your body. Instead you heard, that the beast in front of you growled less and less loudly. Eventually the noise subsided.

You dared to open one eye again to glance at the strange creature. The snarl had vanished from its face, and now it was watching you with a neutral expression, probably thinking.

Probably. You couldn't be sure if this thing thought at all.

He sat down on his bum like an oversized dog, still watching you thoughtfully. Yep, he definitely was thinking.

You opened your other eye as well, looking back up at him, with a less fearful expression.

He narrowed his eyes again, just slightly, and lowered his big head down to your level, evaluating you.

Then he sniffed you again, making you slightly uncomfortable.

"Uhm.... Could we maybe not... sniff each other...?"

The devil just grumbled in response and lifted one of his... hands, slowly moving it towards you.

Well aware of the long ass claws on it, you squirmed slightly in your place, attempting to avoid them.

"W-Woah, uhm.... Careful with these... Please..." You muttered, not taking your eyes of the sharp weapons on his fingers.

One however kept getting closer, until it gently poked your side, making you jump slightly. It didn't hurt you, but it was unpleasant anyway. Let's face it, who wants to be poked with a long, sharp thing?

"Hey! D-don't do that, you could hurt me!" You complained and slowly shoved the claw away from you.

But it returned to poke you again. Same thing repeated. You shoved it away again.

This made the creature in front of you produce an amused rumble, that sounded almost like a chuckle.

"Hey, that's not funny!"

This 'game' went on for a while until you decided you had enough. You held onto the claw, not letting go, when he tried to pull it out your grip.

However that made him lift you up from the ground. Great. Now you were dangling there, right in front of his face.

He looked at you, slightly annoyed by that and tried shaking you off. But that made you hold onto it tighter, since you didn't wanna fall down.

He grumbled again.

"No I won't let go! I don't wanna be poked again!"

He tilted his head. Then he shifted his weight back, so that he was only sitting on his hind legs now lifting his second hand and poked you again.

"Oh really now?!"

There it was again! That amused rumble.

"Don't laugh at me!"