Chapter 3 >Cursed Notice<

The clicking of a computer mouse was heard in the big, bright office. Well, it was more like an observation room, with all those monitors covering one wall of the room. Against that wall also stood a desk, holding a few keyboards and a mouse. In another corner were two tall server towers, that were processing all the data, the satellite dishes of the company picked up. Everything was held in bright colors, mostly white, light gray or a faint blue.

At the desk sat a male, lazily slouching in his office chair and clicking through various windows on the screen, observing the displayed data.

He wasn't older than 19, just started his job. Shaggy brown hair and a few freckles in his face.

He sighed and adjusted his round, nerdy glasses. Being on observing duty was a boring task. Usually nothing happened and nothing needed to be done.

Yet you weren't allowed to take your eyes off the screen just in case something did happen.

Shaking his head, he took a sip from his coffee before switching to the window, that showed data concerning the Nether.

New rows of numbers appeared, as well as a graph. One row was showing the temperature of the dimension, another the number of active portals.

Eversince Notch, his boss and head of Mojang, fought in the last battle and sealed the Nether, all the numbers of that row should be zero.

The human lazily eyed that row.

And spotted something that made him almost panic. His eyes widened and his heart started pounding painfully.

It wasn't all zeros! There was one, teeny tiny 1 standing there, telling him, that a single portal was active.

Someone broke the seal.

Hurriedly he jumped up from the chair and stumbled to the door, bursting through it and running through the hallways of Mojang's headquarters. Taking a turn right, he raced up a flight of stairs, all the way to the top floor. Where Notch's office was.

He stumbled right into the luxurious and modern workspace without even knocking, not caring if he was currently discussing something with someone or not.

"Sir! Sir, we have a problem!!"

He frantically looked around, trying to spot the god of creation.

He wasn't sitting at his desk. Neither was he standing at the large window, that basically made up an entire wall, admiring the overworld. Instead he was sitting on one of the two couches in front of the fireplace, that wasn't lit. A tea service was standing on the coffee table between the two white couches.

"Jacob, calm down, what's wrong?", Notch asked in surprise, eyeing the intruder with his dark eyes widened.

"It's.... The seal!.. Broke...! Portal...!" Jacob stuttered out, clearly overwhelmed by the situation.

Notch grew worried and set his tea cup down, walking over to the stressed out boy, laying his hand on his shoulder.

"Calm down... Collect your thoughts before you speak."

The young employee took a deep breath to finally calm down again.
"I'm on observation duty today, sir. And I saw that one Nether portal got activated! The seal is broken!"

The god sighed bitterly and closed his eyes.
"This is very unfortunate... Though I expected that to happen at one point in time..."

Jacob looked at him in surprise. "Huh?"

"You see.... I couldn't lock people out of the Nether for all eternity. It does contain valuable items after all. Not only for potion brewing. It was only a question of time until someone would open a portal again." Notch explained calmly. Then he sighed sadly.

"The sealing spell just helped me to prolong the inevitable..."

"And what do we do now?" Jacob asked with a hesitant glance at the god.

"Now we have to protect the overworld –no all three dimensions– from my brother's awful revenge.... We need to prevent him from exiting the Nether before it's to late. Let's go back to the observation room."

A few minutes later they arrived at their destination. Jacob sat back down, whereas Notch stood behind him, a hand on the back of the chair, leaning over Jacob's shoulder.

"Let's see if we can find the portal." Notch told Jacob.

The young employee nodded and opened the searching tool, selecting 'ruined portals' from the option list. A map of the overworld appeared, that was had little marks all over the place, where such structures stood.

"Let it highlight the active ones. Maybe we're lucky." The god of creation mumbled, eyeing the screen thoughtfully.

Jacob did as told and a progression bar appeared, slowly getting filled. Once that was done, no portal got highlighted however.

"Crap. Must be a self built structure then...." The young employee sighed.

"I'm afraid we'll have to make a scan of the whole overworld then...." Notch sighed. "And that's gonna take some time...."

He asked Jacob to let him sit down. Then he opened a new window and quickly began to type in a lot of code, that his human companion barely could decipher.

A new progression bar appeared, this time getting filled way slower.

Notch sighed and stood up again. "Well.... This is going to take some time... Say Jacob, can I inspire you for some tea with me?"