3

Propping yourself up for a better view of him—you dolted on his seemingly peaceful expression. Your chest brimmed at the sight, oh how much you longed for the man beside you after that long deployment.

It wasn't long until his eyelids began flickering, making your face twist into a puzzled frown, watching as his eyes darting beneath them. His bare skin glistening in cold sweat from yet another nightmare. Jolting him awake with a sharp gasp, Scanning the room around him with a startled look.

Simon flinches at the sound of you calling him, turning to face you; his eyes locked into yours. He doesn't reply, but takes a moment to breathe in and out. His hands tremble slightly, his breathing rapid. He appears to be still shaking, but more calmer than what he was just moments ago.

"Is everything okay..?" I asked concerned. I placed my hand on his chest, feeling his rapid heart beat. "Simon your hearts beating really fast.." I said worriedly, glancing at his expressions.

He answers quietly, nodding his head, his gaze drifting to his own lap now.

You reach out to him, wrapping your arms around his shoulders as you pulled him in for a soft hug. Your gentle touch soothes the uneasiness within Simon as his expression softens as the warmth from you envelopes him. He nuzzles closer to your neck slightly, pressing himself close to you in gratitude, wrapping his arms around you tightly.

Simon's lips curl upwards into a faint smile, and his gaze wanders back up towards yours. I looked at him lovingly, watching his expression closely. "You sure everything's okay?" i asked unsure, caressing his hair to distract him from the nightmare. Simon sighs, as his body relaxes ever so slightly at your words. He nods once more, comforted by your voice, being the soothing one it is to him. He nods his head against your chest, though he doesn't utter a response just yet.

"I love you.." He whispers quietly, breaking the silence as he pulls himself out of his shell for a moment. "I love you too" I said, giving him a soft kiss on his head, smiling. Still tired from his nightmare and now the sudden embrace from you; his eyelids become incredibly heavy as he struggles to keep them open. His grip on you tightens in a comfortable manner, and he presses his head into your neck.

He's on the verge of dozing off, and it shows in his lazy actions of wanting more of your touch. You hum lightly, seeing as lullabies always helped you sleep, you thought it would help Simon. You continued humming, the lullaby one your mother used to sing to you when you were younger. Simon perks up instantly, his eyes meeting yours. "How do you.. " He questioned, his voice going quiet.

"My mother used to sing it to me when I was little.." You said, a light smile on your face. You looked down at Simon, his eyes full of emotion you never saw before. "Is everything okay love?" You asked worriedly. "My mother... she used to sing that exact same song..before she died." Then the realization hit you.  "Oh Simon I'm so sorry-" He cut you off once more.

"Keep humming it, please.." He said softly, finding comfort in your voice, the lullaby reminding him the comfort of a mother.

You smiled lightly, placing a soft kiss on his forehead, before humming once more; Your soothing voice keeping him at ease. He doesn't fight against his sleep, which soon claims him as he's in the comfort of your arms. His mouth slightly open and his breathing steady.

You smile softly, the sight causing your heart to flutter seeing Simon cuddled up in you.

Before you too fall asleep, the light of the morning shines through the window into the room. The gentle morning light fills the room, and you notice him still in a slumber with you in his arms. His arms wrapped comfortably around your body, his eyelids now fully shut as he remains asleep. After having a good night's rest, you wake up to Simon's embrace around you. His soft and gentle breath tickles at your skin, his chin resting on top of your shoulder.