Chapter 2

Cluttered. There was no other word to explain it, Merlin's house was full. Organised, yet full. A brown velvet sofa was against the wall of the living room, there were shelves filling up a whole wall full of books and other small items, one which Arthur singled out as Gwens wedding ring and another the royal sigil, there was a large thin black box on the other wall seated upon a rectangular black table, like a black mirror but he didn't know what it was. Beside the door, Arthur had seen it through the window but now he could see it clearly, was a large antique piano and to finish it all of the walls were painted parchment coloured yellow. "Take a seat," the dark haired man ushered him onto the sofa, clearing off multiple maps of star constellations and dumping them onto the coffee table. Arthur tried making himself comfortable. "I know you have loads of questions," Merlin himself sat on a chair that hung from the ceiling, shaped like an egg made with twine. "Fire away."

"What happened to Camelot?"

"Gwen ruled for many more years and one day the castle was besieged by Saxons, they killed everyone. Gwen, Gaius, Percival," Merlin said softly, tears forming in his eyes as he said this, "I watched many more rulers after Gwen rule the land that was once Camelot, though none as well as you or her."

"Who is the king now?" Arthur questioned.

"There is a Queen. Queen Elizabeth, although the royal family do not do much ruling, it's the prime minister that makes all the important decisions for the country," informed Merlin, swinging his legs around on the chair.

"You have magic..."

Merlin had expected this, he had been bracing himself. "Yes."

"You were a sorcerer and you lied to me, but you also saved my life," Merlin muttered something Arthur couldn't understand, "you protected me and in no way are you evil. I understand why you didn't tell me. So from now on I am not going to judge any magical being without personally knowing them."

A bittersweet smile was painted on Merlin's face, "I am the last magical being alive, because I'm immortal," he added, "nobody believes in magic anymore, it's just a myth. Any more questions?"

Everything was a question, Arthur was lost in this new world, but he decided he would learn slowly and Merlin would help him. Instead he asked, "can you play the piano?"

Merlin was surprised by the lightness of the query, he smiled, "yeah. I can also play every instrument that exists. I needed to do something while I was waiting for you," he shrugged.

Arthur was genuinely interested in Merlin's hobbies, "what else did you do?"

"Read, write, draw, paint, travel, study and a bunch of other stuff," he hopped up from his seat, "you need clothes!"

"I'm wearing clothes," remarked Arthur.

"Yes, but armour isn't exactly comfortable, is it? Also, you've been in the lake for years with it on, I think it needs to be cleaned," Merlin dragged Arthur into the bathroom down the hallway, "wait." he ducked out to fetch some clothes for the king.

"I don't want to wear that rubbish you're wearing!" Arthur called out.

"Don't worry! You'll like it!" Was the reply he got. Merlin came back a few seconds later carrying black joggers, a plain white t-shirt and a scarlet hoodie.

"No," Arthur pushed it away.

"Yes" Merlin pushed them back at him.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Fine," Arthur groaned, snatching the garments.