Chapter 9

Arthur wasn't in his room. Merlin woke up after dreaming about Arthur's death once again, he wiped the tears off his face with his shirt and paced to the king's room only to find it empty of the man. He flung around the mounds of scarlet sheets to make sure Arthur wasn't hidden under them, he wasn't. The warlock checked all the rooms upstairs, then hurried down the stairs, Gwaine and Leon were sleeping together in the extra room, both slumped on top of each other, in the morning they'd wake up in the position very awkwardly. Arthur was nowhere to be found on that floor. Just as he was about to wake the two knights, the front door opened and Arthur entered wearing nothing but a jacket over his bare chest and joggers. He looked surprised to see Merlin awake. "Where have you been?" Fumed Merlin.

"Out for a walk," he shrugged.

"Alone?" He demanded.

"I'm not a child, Merlin! I don't need you to watch me all the time!" Arthur exclaimed.

"You could have at least told me before or left a note!"

"I wasn't going to wake you up when you finally slept!"

"Well, you can't just disappear!"

"I came back!"

"I can't lose you again! You came back, but I waited centuries for you, 1500 years! You can't leave again. If I let anything happen to you again- if anyone-. I don't want to waste time waiting again," Merlin choked out, he was struggling to keep his tears at bay and breathing deeply.

Arthur blinked in shock, he hadn't been expecting the outburst from the boy. He regretted his previous words. Then, he noticed how desperate Merlin's breaths were becoming and realised he was having some sort of panic attack. "Alright, come on," he took his shaking frame by the shoulders and led him up the stairs back to bed. "Keep breathing. That's it, in and out," he said as they reached the top floor. 'What would Leon do?' He thought, but nothing came to mind. Merlin was calmer now, they reached his room and Arthur placed him on his bed. Without hesitation, he tugged off his jacket and got in on the other side. The sorcerer had buried himself under the blankets and faced away from Arthur, but he didn't push him away. They lay in silence, Merlin facing the wall and Arthur facing his back. Arthur could tell that Merlin was pissed at him, he deserved it. Inching slowly towards Merlin, Arthur gave him a light kick on the back of his shins."I'm sorry, Merlin," he called out to the quiet. When there was no reply he kicked him again, "you shouldn't have had to wait for me all that time. It wasn't your fault." Still no reply. "I'm very sorry again, Merlin," he pleaded.

"What do you want?" Merlin flipped around to look at Arthur with a hopeless look on his features, "what are we doing, Arthur?" He asked desperately.

"What do you mean?" They were now face to face with each other.

"You kissed me today," he stated.

Arthur sighed to himself disappointedly, "I did."

"What does it mean?" Merlin pouted.

"I was just trying something, it doesn't matter," he brushed off.

Merlin squeezed his eyes shut, looking pained, "but it matters to me. I've liked you for ages, Arthur, centuries even. And now you go and get my hopes up only to kill it again. If you want to tell me something, be straightforward with it, don't play with my feelings. Please."

Arthur looked one look at the boy and realised there was nothing else to it. He cared for him a lot. They belonged together, always. He wasn't going to hide it any longer. "I like you too."

This time it was Merlin who guided the kiss, half sitting up to get his lips on the kings. Arthur had his hand on the back of his head, tangled in his raven hair, pulling him closer. Merlin's hand was gliding over his bare chest, Arthur hummed into his mouth to show his appreciation for the gesture. Merlin stopped. "What about Gwen?" He panted, still breathless.