Chapter Six

Edward gave a sigh as he pulled into the driveway of their Forks home. He could hear the thoughts of his family already as he stepped out of the car, and flashed around the other side of the car to open the door for his mate.

'It's good to be home' Esme thought as she stepped out of the car, her eyes locked with their home.

Edward gave Esme a small smile before it turned into a frown as he heard the thoughts of his family. His eyes narrowed as he focused on them, trying to digest everything he was hearing.

'Edwards home...I wonder how he is going to react to the news...'

'Edward might not take this very well...

"Welcome home!" He refocused and saw Alice grinning at him brightly, a bounce to her step as she came to where Esme and him were standing.

With narrowed eyes, Edward spoke to Alice, "What's going on? Everyone's thoughts are centered around about how I will act to some news..."Esme hearing this, moved closer to Edward, glancing worriedly at Alice who just gave a small smile.

"Everything will be explained...everyone is inside waiting.." Alice paused, "We've missed you two."

Edward gave a sigh at this, "We missed you and everyone else is already waiting for us inside already...so we might as well go get this over with." Edward and Esme followed Alice in, and into the family room where everyone was already gathered. Alice went over and stood with Jasper who nodded at Esme and Edward in greeting.

Emmett and Rose were sitting on the loveseat not that far away from Alice and Jasper. Emmett gave a grin to him giving a booming 'Welcome Home' and Rose gave him a small nod.

Carlisle was standing by the stairs and had a weary look on his face, he stood stiff and his mind was jumping from one thing to another making Edward's frown deepen.

"Carlisle..." Edward started looking at his mentor and father figure with curiosity and some worry. He had never been this stiff around them before, and Carlisle usually had calm thought.

Carlisle gave Edward a small smile, but he was still on edge, "Welcome Home. We have missed you."

Edward nodded in greeting, "What is going on..." He wasn't going to beat around the bush, he wanted to know why everyone was on guard with their thoughts. He also wanted to know why they were worried he wouldn't approve of something.

"Something...unexpected happened while you two were away," Carlisle stated cautiously, he knew Edward may take it graciously like Rose...or blow up. He hadn't figured out what one as of yet.

Edward lifted an eyebrow, waiting for Carlisle to continue.

"Someone came to me yesterday after having an incident at the grocery store, which ended up with her having a hurt wrist..." the oldest Cullen paused, gold eyes proceeding as he watched Edward's reaction to what he would say next, "This person, happened to have a certain...Smell to them. One you find only on one person." He was trying to hint at it gently but saw the irritation behind Edward's eyes for not just saying it bluntly.

"This person's name is Kagome Higurashi, and she happened to be my mate."

Silence swept through the house. Edward stood there, trying to process what the older Vampire said.

"...you said at the hospital..." Edward began, knowing that if his mate was human that such a thing wouldn't occur, "...your mate is...Human...."

Carlisle didn't say anything out loud but he silently did, 'Please accept this. I have been looking for her for so long...please don't make me choose...family, mate. Can't choose between the two.'

Edward could hear his rapidly changing thoughts, he was worried and was longing for his mate. He could see that Carlisle didn't want to make Edward angry about having a human mate. Because Carlisle would change Kagome into a vampire, something Edward didn't want to happen to someone, but Edward knew that Carlisle had been waiting over three hundred years for this Kagome to show up.

Edward didn't know how to react, he was conflicted. He wanted Carlisle to be happy...but a human. Why did his mate have to be a human?

"Edward?" Carlisle called his name, his tone soft almost pleading.

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, "...What do you plan to do..." He still didn't know how to feel about this...but he wasn't going to take this change away from his maker.

Golden eyes flashed with happiness hearing these words come out of the mind readers mouth, "...I don't know as of yet. She does not come to town a lot nor does she interact with the townsfolk often."

Edward gave a small hum in thought, he could see the predicament. He also could see how Carlisle's eyes lit up just at the mere mention of his mate.

"Alice?" Edward asked, knowing she probably had seen visions of Carlisle's mate and would have an idea of what to do.

Alice gave a small smile, "You know me so well."

Snorting Edward lifted his eyebrow, "I had years of practice." His tone was sarcastic making the seer laugh.

"I want you and Esme to go to the Grocery store. Esme or you would be the best bet on approaching her." Alice informed out loud, making everyone look at her. She hadn't told anyone else about the visions she had had when Edward and Esme finally decided to come back home.

"You have been keeping secrets, darlin'.." Jasper's voice cut through, amusement clear in his voice.

"Yes. I wanted to keep it to myself to make sure nothing changed the outcome of getting Kagome to be around us faster." Alice stated matter of factly. She wanted the young woman to be a part of their family as fast as possible, she knew it would just be friends at first...but that was a start.

Edward laughed, "Alright you scheming pixie...tell us what you need us to do." And tell Alice did, all the while Carlisle watched with a smile on his face, some of the tension washing away as he knew that one obstacle was over and another was just beginning.