Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Saturday came fast enough. School crawled by. The burning glares came from everywhere, as did the curious glances from the pack members. It's not everyday that their future alpha mated to someone. They had no warning whatsoever so it was a shock to them. Rane hadn't told anyone except his parents.

Today... I was going to die.

Well, not really. I had to go to the hospital. I really hated hospitals. They smelt like old people and sickness. Not that old people were bad... but they always seemed to have this hospital smell to them, such as hospitals smell like old people.

I shook my head. I was definitely going crazy. I hardly knew what I was going on about in my head. Currently, I was sat in a blue, semi-comfy chair. It had slight padding which helped my butt little as it was starting to go numb. I shifted in the seat, my discomfort building. I had been sitting here for awhile.

An older lady kept looking at me curiously, probably wondering why I was here. My slight bulge was covered in a big shirt along with sweatpants and a ponytail. Morning sickness was terrible this morning. I hadn't bothered dressing up in the slightest.

Rane had gotten up just a second ago to use the bathroom, grumbling on about a cat. I have no idea, I really don't know - who talks to themselves about cats?

There was a magazine sitting in my lap, still on page one. It held no interest for me. I had always been more into books than magazines, anyway.

I looked around at the linoleum floor and blue walls. There was small crack in the ceiling and a fly buzzing around the lights above me. The buzzing was quite annoying.

The elevator dinged and I turned to look as another girl came in. A slightly cold breeze blew in from the elevator as the doors opened. The girl's dark brown hair waved in the ponytail as she walked uncertainly up to the receptionist. After talking a bit, the girl sat three seats down from me.

"Are you pregnant?" I asked bluntly. The girl's head snapped over to mine and her dull green eyes looked at me. She sighed after awhile and visibly slumped in her seat.

"Yup," she popped the 'p' at the end, head nodding. I slung a hand in her direction.

"Elaina... and you?"

"Ember," her hand came to mine and she shook it.

"How far along are you?" I wanted to get to know this girl for whatever reason. I slung the magazine onto the table that was behind me, not caring for it. It slid and fell off the side. I shrug a shoulder and look back at Ember.

"I don't know for sure if I'm pregnant. The test showed positive but I'm here to be sure. If I am... about 4 weeks."

"I'm about 12 weeks..." I tell her, trying to think back. I will have to get a calendar to be sure. "You go to FCHS, right?" Ember nods.

"Who's the father?" I felt like an interrogator for a crime... I saw her suck in a breath and then look straight at me. I then noticed the dark circles around her dull green eyes. She appears to be thinking but soon comes to her decision.

"Slade... I think that's his name. Slade something." I nod and think to the people in our school. I know the names of pretty much everyone. Realization finally dawns.

"Nerd Boy?" a small smile appears on my face. She nods and then laughs. She sighs when the laughter is over and then looks up at me.

"Yeah... but Nerd Boy Isn't So Nerdy." one of my eyebrows rise in wonder and curiosity. It's a look that clearly states to explain. Ember opens her mouth to speak when Rane comes back in. He sits with a sigh and an arm slings around my shoulders.

He sniffs and immediately stiffens. His head jerks over to Ember, eyes wide. I feel my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion. I open my mouth to ask what was wrong when I hear my name being called.

"Miss Harper." I looked up to find a young nurse standing in the doorway. A big smile was upon her face and I relaxed slightly.

"Bye, Ember. I hope to see you around." I smiled to her. I really did hope to see her around.

"Bye." she gave a slight wave, her green eyes twinkling just a little. It made her whole face brighter, prettier. She even had a small smile on her face.

Rane stood up and helped me stand. He was slightly distracted, still looking at Ember. I couldn't see exactly what his face looked like. As we walked away, I asked him about it. He looks back down at me as we enter the halls to go to the room.

He sighs and shrugs a bit. "I don't know... But I think she's pregnant." I give him a dull look.

"No dip, Sherlock. How did you guess it?!" he frowns down at me. He puts a hand on the small of my back as we walk.

"You didn't let me finish. What I meant is that I think the father is a werewolf."

"Oh." I nod my head. "Do you know who exactly it is?" I knew who it is because she told me.

"Yeah. I think it's the rogue... Slade? I'm not too sure what his name is. He keeps to himself, doesn't cause any trouble so there isn't any reason to do too much of a background check. I believe he is powerful, more so than my beta, most likely. My father said he came here on peaceful terms but that's all my father said about it." We finally make it to the room. When we enter, there is already a doctor there.

"You are 12 weeks, correct?" he asks us after telling me to sit on the table and Rane in a chair.

"Correct." Rane answers for us.

"Okay, are you guys ready to see your baby?"

______________________________________________