Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Elaina's POV

My stomach was full of knots. I slowly turned around to see him. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My insides trembled.

"Ja-Jason?" I stuttered. My feet slowly started to back away from the guy in front of me. Of course when I backed away, he stepped closer. His face showed slight panic. His light brown hair was disheveled and his brown eyes pleading.

"Elaina, listen to me. It's-" He started, but didn't get to continue.

"Stop!" I yell at him, putting my hand out. "Do-don't come any closer." I feel the fear on my face and he must see it. My heart beats faster, and I feel the fear crawling up my throat, choking me. He takes a step back, but a look of urgency crosses his face once again.

"It's not safe here." He says it so quietly, I barely hear the words. He says them like he's talking to a child, slow and reassuringly. I freeze. What? Footsteps sound upstairs and he panics slightly. I don't listen to his words.

"I know what you did, Jason. Don't feed me any of your shit." I tell him, trying for confidence, yet my voice cracks and wavers.

Confusion crosses his face before realization dawns over. I know he knows what I am talking about. He shakes his head. "No, Elaina that's not what happened-" I cut him off, again.

"You're lying!" I almost yell but instead just whisper yell it. There were people starting to wake up and I didn't want them knowing all of my business. The footsteps grow louder and this time Jason starts to walk to me.

I panic, not knowing what he's going to do. I turn around and run as fast as I can.

"No- wait! Elaina!" I hear him yell. "It's not saf-" The door to the house blocked whatever he was going to say as I made it out of there. I don't know what happened to him, yet I didn't care, not after what he had done.

I started to walk along the gravel road that led to the road. I sighed. It would be a long walk. The sharp pains on my feet made me realize that I was shoeless. My shoulders slumped.

Great... What a lovely day it has been. (Note the sarcasm.) Realizing I had sex with Rane, running into Jason, and now this. I can't even remember if Rane was any good...

The chill wind had me shivering and wrapping my arms around myself. Summer had just ended and it was now cold. I looked around my surroundings. The sun was coming up over the trees and the leaves were turning all sorts of colors for the season. It was a pretty sight, with the green grass that shines wherever the sun touches, dew on leaves from the early morning, and the occasional glimpse of an animal.

I listen to the sounds of nature as I walk. Seeing as it's a straight road, I close my eyes as I walk. I breath in the heavenly scent of nature. I listen closely to all of the sounds, birds tittering, grasshoppers creak-ing, and tires on gravel- wait. Tires on gravel?

My eyes snap open and my head swings to see behind me. A car is approaching. It must be from one of the kids that woke up. I step over to the side of the road, into the grass which feels amazing after the harsh rocks, and let whoever it is pass.

The car, instead of passing, slows down next to me, and the window opens.

"Elaina! Get in the car!" I hear someone shout from inside it. I look through the window to see Jayden at the wheel.

I hesitate. The chilly breeze makes me shudder and I nod. Jumping into the passenger seat, I notice it's only him in the car. Kind of awkward considering I don't have undergarments on...