Emotional breakthrough (tighnarixreader)

im prob going to experiment w the first person n third person thing again, so i'll just apologize prior 🧍 anyway, partially writing this bc most ppl r having exams nowadays and kinda for comfort??? yea, i also wanna write smth that doesn't involve a kiss if yk what i mean HEBAHSJFK anyway ty 🥺

_________________

"TIGHNARIII—" there was a loud banging on Tighnari's door. "HEY, LEMME IN PLEAA- ugh," y/n groaned and got up, their body in slight pain from the force of falling to the floor the moment a half asleep Tighnari opened it.

He rubbed his eyes moodily and squinted to look at them. "Y/n...? Why are you bothering me at.." he glanced at his watch, "flipping 4 in the morning." His voice sounded breathy and deeper than usual, and was accompanied by hair looking like quite the opposite of his usual neat and combed do, and more like the back of a dark green cat of some sorts. Which was actually pretty normal, considering that he just woke up.

His forehead furrowed as he glared at y/n, and though he was half asleep, the annoyance was showing clear as day.

Y/n kicked at the wooden floorboard underneath them, feeling both embarrassed and guilty.

He let out a sigh and gestured for y/n to get inside his abode, and y/n did so, still looking guiltier than ever.

Tighnari couldn't be mad at them, no, never in a million years. They were too sweet and compassionate, and though he often tends to criticize y/n's silly, clumsy way of doing things, they never take it to heart. And they listen, they're always there to listen. Whatever he shared with Collei, he most likely shared it with y/n too, within the past few months that they've known each other.

He watched them awkwardly settle into the corner of his mini couch, and he sat down on the opposing side of it.

"So." His stare softened, only in the slightest bit, as he tried to hide how soft y/n really made him feel. "What's up? Did you accidentally eat poisonous mushrooms again?" He was joking of course, and y/n knew this.

Knowing y/n, they'd only be so willing to come knock at Tighnari's door at 4 in the morning if there was something terribly wrong, or if something or someone was bothering them very badly. Otherwise, they'd often joke saying they don't want to be a burden when questioned about these things.

Y/n looked at him nervously and gulped. He raised his eyebrow at them, so they finally decided to talk.

"So um.. my mum and I had a fight again. She sorta kicked me out."

Tighnari continued to stare at them, and when they didn't continue, he rolled his eyes.

"Come on, I know you better than that. You aren't feeling well." He put a hand to their forehead. "It might not be physically, but you're hurting. I can see it in your eyes." He unconsciously pulled their hand into his slightly larger palm; y/n didn't really seem to mind.

"Agh.. fine. It's about my studies again." Tighnari sighed and squeezed their hand comfortingly, to which they smiled.

"My mom just wouldn't listen when I tell her I really don't understand what the teachers say. I just.. I lose focus, I can't really help my disease, can I?" He simply listened and nodded, and that was more than enough for y/n. "It's not my fault that I blank out all the time, or that I can't register anything people tell me if it doesn't interest me enough."

Y/n probably hadn't noticed, but tears had started rolling down their cheeks. Tighnari put a hand up to their cheek and wiped it away, to which they seemed surprised when they realized they were crying.

He didn't need to say anything. His eyes said everything he wanted to say, and from the shadows of love and appreciation dancing in y/n's eyes, he guessed that the message got through to them.