𝐓𝐞𝐧

Vivian sat on the dock, watching the Baltic Sea and its wrathful waves.

They clashed against the surrounding rock, creating a bshhh sound. Pine trees rustled in the wind and the clouds stirred with sunshine, contrasting greatly with the purple mountains looming so far away.

Durmstrang castle appeared so small in the distance, but it wasn't any less daunting.

It was dark, damp, and cold— requiring students to wear sweaters even during warmer months. Consisting of many stories and narrow stairwells, the castle boasted a gloomy feel. It had plenty of unnerving statues in the corridors, ones that watched students with wide eyes.

Vivian swung her legs over the dock's edge and raised her face to the sun, closing her eyes.

Tomorrow, she'd leave the institute for the summer and her fifth year would be over. Tomorrow, she'd be back at home, which was even more bleak than the chambers of Durmstrang.

Suddenly, a sharp hand was felt around her leg.

She shrieked and immediately attempted to stand, only for the creature to pull her down.

The water soaked her skirt as she kicked at the thing, trying to free herself.

It looked like a giant beetle crossed with a fish. Its arms were black and shiny, surprisingly strong for how thin they were. Its tail had nasty, pulsing veins and its teeth were pointed and covered with algae.

It tugged the girl's ankle and sank its nails into her skin.

Finally, after it drug Vivian underwater, she waved her hand and conjured a thick rope.

Instantly, the rope wrapped around the creature's neck and tightened. The creature released her and grabbed at its throat.

The rope continued to tighten until a repulsive pop noise was heard.

Its round head was severed, leaking green into the water. Its many eyes went dull as the rest of its body sank.

The girl swam upward, rising from the water and gripping the dock.

To her surprise and relief, there stood Andrea and Joel.

They each grabbed one of her hands and lifted her upward.

She collapsed onto the wood, catching her breath.

"Damn it." She heaved, "It's June! Those fuckers are supposed to be gone!"

The other two looked at each other, shocked at the girl's rare cursing.

Andrea then made a fuss over her friend, moving her hair out of her face and searching for wounds.

Joel laughed. "I suppose just May wasn't long enough for them. I can't believe you let it drag you under."

Vivian pinched him, making him jump away from her. "Shut up, Garnes."

"Fuck!" He rubbed his calf, "Viv, you used your nails!"

Andrea, having concluded Korsmo to be fine, helped her to her feet.

"Both of you, stop being children." She ordered.

Neither one said anything.

The Fellows girl then slapped her boyfriend lightly, who was moving to peer over the dock.

"Don't. It's morbid to ogle at it."

Joel scoffed. "It's not! Rorjas are horrible. I'm glad she killed it."

Andrea crossed her arms. "Sure, but death isn't a humorous thing, even if it was a Rorja."

Vivian shivered, the wind stinging her skin through her soaked clothing. "Let's go."