𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

Tom sat on the roots of his oak tree, hoping its branches would shield him some from the rain.

They didn't. Cold, sharp drops fell from the sky as they washed away the remnants of summer.

He blinked as one fell onto his forehead, deepening his frown.

His expression lightened, however, once he saw a girl running toward him.

Her face lacked her usual grin upon seeing him, but she sat beside him anyway.

"Hi, Tom." Vivian greeted, not looking at him.

"Hello."

She played with a few colorful leaves on the ground, crushing them with her fingers and watching the pieces fall.

"My parents didn't want me to play with you for a while." She sniffed, "What you did to Jane was mean."

He scowled but said nothing.

She turned to him. "Well? No apology? We went straight home after Jane hurt herself, but you never even apologized!"

The red raincoat she wore must have belonged to someone else, not because of the "S" on the collar, but because the hood was so large that it swallowed her little face, making her look sort of funny.

"I'm sorry." He finally said.

The girl huffed and glanced away once more, adding more wet leaves to her pile.

"You should have told Jane that. She was sad!"

"Fine. When I see her again, I will."

Vivian exhaled and leaned against the oak tree's trunk. "Good. She really was fond of you, but not so much anymore." She paused, a slight grin appearing on her lips, "She said she wanted to break your arm."

The boy raised a brow. "Did she actually?"

She made eye contact. "Indeed, and I will expect her to do exactly that should you be mean ever again."

He nodded. "Okay, noted."

"Why'd you even do it? You were never like that before."

"I don't know." He shrugged, "I was just annoyed, I guess."

She tilted her head. "But why?"

He remained silent for several moments before speaking again.

"It doesn't matter, it was foolish."

Vivian hummed. "Correct."

Tom laughed before his face went straight. "It was just Jane that came that day, right? Not your aunt or any other cousins?"

The girl stared at the dark sky. "Yes, why?" She giggled, "It's not like Lars could have came, he's only two."

"Never mind, then." He decided to change the subject, "Can we go to your house or are your parents still cross?" He gestured to himself, "I'm soaked."

He usually didn't care, but now it was starting to bother him. His itchy long-sleeved shirt stuck to his skin with rain, making him want to scratch his body until he bled.

She stood up. "Sure, they're not anymore."

♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

"Found you!" Tom shouted as he opened the door of a cupboard. It was small, but Vivian would've been able to fit inside.

However, it was empty except for folded tablecloths.