Chapter 20

Chapter 20: It can't be you

     There's no way that his guardian is alive. During the Great War, Grim has confirmed that he has personally killed Arthur Conan Doyle himself.

The former German Transcendent employed by the German government can't be wrong.

He should be only a corpse now. 

Even though David didn't see the corpse of his Guardian...

One of the particular reasons why David doesn't want to go back to Britain and holds bitterness against the British Government is them taking away the corpse of his guardian and not allowing David to see his guardian's corpse.

They have taken the corpse away for themselves and not be buried to rest. They wanted to study his guardian's body and study his ability.

An ability shouldn't exist upon an ability user's death. Somehow, his guardian's ability is one of the few that was capable of outlasting its user.

Staring down at the phone, David frowned. He can feel his body trembling slightly. The person on the phone, can't be his guardian.

It was simply impossible.

There's no way to bring back a dead person from the dead.

(Liar. You know that it wasn't true right? There are many ways. Who knows if there was an ability user that could bring back a person to life? )

" David? "

David briefly glances at Robert who is looking at him with concern. He turned his gaze back to the phone. Crouching, he picked up his phone which was still in good condition, and called his guardian's impersonator.

{ Oh my, did I surprise you, David? I know that it is a shock. But aren't you glad that I am alive? I have been looking forward to a happy– }

Not letting the unknown impersonator finish their words, David replied with a growl in his voice.

" Whoever you are, I would hunt you. "

{.... }

" I wouldn't let you taint my guardian's reputation. I swear it on his name,  that I would make you pay for impersonating him. "

After a few seconds, the unknown caller was silent before laughs started coming from the phone.

{ he..Hehehehehe!! That anger! Amusing! Interesting! To have such anger directed at me by the infamous leader of the 7 traitors... It's so gratifying. ~ Big Brother is happy! }

" You're a sick fuck. I'm not so naive to believe that you are my dead guardian. Your manners, your tones, it screams stranger to me. Consider your days numbered, member of the ministry. "

{ Oopsie~ }

" Other than you guys who would be the one responsible for this? Since you have Miss Atwood's phone...What happened to her? "

{ I'm not interested in telling you over the phone.  How about you go to the Old City Hall and find out? }

After that, the impersonator's call ended. Glancing at the phone, David tried to contact the unknown caller. But the impersonator refuses to answer it.

A minute later, David gave up and sighed. With a worried expression, Robert asked.

" David.. Will we go to the Old City Hall? "

Shrugging, David replied.

" It looks like we have no choice... "

" What if it was a trap? "