10. What Are You Hiding?

Joining him in drawing, you started a conversation. You spoke with Wally for a bit before asking about the neighborhood, "When do you think we could go back?"

"Go back where?" He asked.

"Welcome Home," you didn't want to bring it up, but it was always in the back of your mind.

"You didn't seem as eager to go when there," he pointed out.

"Sorry, it's just- I really want to see the neighbors," you knew it wasn't just the neighbors. It felt like something was telling you to go back home.

"I don't know if it's the best idea to return. It took a great toll on you and it's only been a day," why did he seem so reluctant? When there, he had been urging you to come back, why the change of attitude?

"Alright, if you say so," you mumbled, sadly. To be fair, you did like Wally's company, but the neighborhood just made you happy. Happy, in a way that nothing else did.

Did Wally not want you to be happy?

No, Wally was your friend. He was the only neighbor you could call a friend, you'd only met the others.

"Finished!" You looked over to the puppet, and he lifted his piece of paper to reveal his drawing. It was a cute little red boat sailing on a bright sunny day.

(Please don't be mean, I know it's not that great, but he's a twelve apple tall puppet!!!)

"That's great, Wally!" He beamed.

"Are you done yet?" You looked down to your piece of paper. All that was scrawled on it was a spiral; big and black. It made you feel awful, and you had no idea why. One thing was for sure though, it represented the neighborhood. A side of it you had never seen before.

You crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it away, "It's not that great," you said.

"Are you sure? Do you need some help, neighbor?"

"No thanks. Are you hungry-wait do you eat as a puppet?"

"Yes, and yes," he answered.

"Alright then, might as well get started on lunch. Or, dinner I guess," the clock struck four.

The two of you made your way to the kitchen and Wally jumped onto the counter. "Anything you'd like specifically?"

"Hmm, how about some pasta?" He asked with his usual smile.

"Um," looking inside the fridge, there wasn't really much. And by "much" you meant basically nothing. "How about a trip to the grocery store?"

"I might have to stay here," he answered. And, he was right; bringing a sentient puppet out into the world wasn't the greatest idea.

"Alright, I'll be back in two hours. Don't do anything rash, ok?" You could trust him.

"No rules?" He asked.

"You're an adult, even if you're three feet tall. You should be able to handle yourself," he was probably used to there being rules in the show.

~~~ Wally's pov ~~~

She left in a few minutes. He had a lot of time to just explore the apartment. It wasn't much, there was a small living room, y/n's room, a bathroom, the kitchen, and a closet in the hall leading to the door.

He started by looking in that spare closet. It was full of boxes and some old-looking dresses. He wondered why you hadn't worn said dresses; they were pretty, especially the blue one. There were some shoes too, sandals and flats that he'd never seen you wear. The boxes were just full of old drawings and toys. They were cute, some even reminded him of episodes in Welcome Home. One especially brought some deja vu, there was an episode where he gradually instructed the viewer on how to draw a boat. It looked just like the one he made, except the red boat was dark blue.

He put everything away with more questions than answers. Had you seen the show? You were a just a bit too young to have seen it. Maybe it was already recorded when you saw it? But, there weren't any vhs tapes left of it.

Alright, next room it is. He'd only been in the bathroom once, when you cleaned him up. It wasn't much, a sink, a shower, a toilet, mirror, and extra cleaning supplies in the cupboard under the sink.

The living room wasn't much, just a couch behind a coffee table and a small television. The tv stand had some books and old cds, but nothing really interesting.

He had been in the kitchen many times, so he just skipped over that and went straight to y/n's room. It was alright. The bed was small and shoved in a corner, there was a desk with books and a laptop, the ceiling was cracked and its stability looked like it would keep anyone up at night. The chest of drawers where your clothes were had many little trinkets on it. Bits of origami and homemade stuffed animals.

Not much. Leaving the room, his eyes wandered to the door leading outside. How easy would it be to just leave? No, he didn't want to. He just wanted to stay with y/n, but her only desire was going straight against that. She was going to be toyed with just as he'd been. Just a puppet on a stage for their entertainment.

"Wally, could you open the door?" He heard y/n's voice at the door. Jumping off the couch, he turned the knob and she entered; bag of ingredients in hand.

"Can we make pasta now?" He asked.

"Yes, yes we can,"

~~~

932 words

"Ok... we're going to get back to the neighborhood soon, I promise. Please vote and comment if you liked it, and I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee