Chapter 16 - I'm In Love With You Too

"Nesta."

Nesta squinted, trying to figure out where the voice was coming from.

She was drowning in a sea of bodies in the auditorium banquet hall attached to the performing arts center, having just pulled the last bit of rhinestones from her browbone while leaving the rest in her hair. The room was thundering with four hundred voices all speaking at the same time, clinking glasses, raucous laughter, and background cello music enveloping the space in a type of Solstice cheer.

The performance had gone better than she could have hoped.

From her first jête to her last arabesque, Nesta had danced the perfect pas-de-trois. Each movement was perfectly synchronized with Mor and Eris, the three dancers moving through the choreography with ease and grace, the audience absolutely silent, holding their breath as the pointe shoes pounded across the flexible wooden stage.

Nesta's white and silver tutu and corset gleamed in the spotlight, her brown hair pulled tight into a dancer's bun as she danced in mirrored synchronism to Mor who was wearing jet black, her eyes peeking out from a mask of black liner and eyeshadow as she threw herself into the role, eyeing Nesta as they moved, Eris performing jéttes and leaps, prancing and preening like the principal dancer he truly was.

As Nesta caught sight of Cassian grinning from the wings, watching her execute his choreography with the gentile joy of a true white swan, she felt her chest puff out with ecstatic happiness, dancing almost as if she was dancing just for the hell of it.

And it felt good.

So good to be releasing herself onto this stage, knowing that she was being watched by the greatest names and sponsors in the dance world, her talent being displayed in the way she had always dreamed— like she deserved to be here.

So as she stepped through the bodies crowding the auditorium after the performance, whispers dragging behind in her wake, she forced her catlike grin of pleasure to wane, reminding herself to at least put on the air of being humble in front of others.

"Nesta!" The voice seemed to raise, calling to her louder now, drawing her attention to the side near a group of people adorned in furs and silk.

It was Eris.

She came close, exchanging a kiss on both cheeks as was customary, though she could feel her chest wanting to put distance between their bodies.

Which was strange in a way, when one considered how absolutely glued one had to be to trust their pas-de-deux partner.

But nevertheless, coming so close to his face, his lip curled into a smile as he surveyed her, his amber eyes glittering as she felt a tremor of unease slip through her ribcage. At the beginning of the season, she would have died on stage or at the very least, murdered a background corp dancer to be in this position.

But now?

Now she was just looking for an exit.

"Eris." She cooed the word, nodding to him before her eyes slipped over to the rest of the people in the group.

He leaned down, speaking low into her ear as she stepped out of the way of a passing guest, inadvertently placing herself even closer to him.

"So what will it be my dear?" Eris smiled then, pulling his face close to her ear as she felt a shiver go up her arms. "A return to Moscow perhaps? I know the Bolshoi Ballet would be pleased at my return... especially if I were to bring a permanent partner."

And as she felt his offer wash over her, sending her fingers and arms alight with adrenaline, realizing everything he was placing before her, she felt herself hesitate.