Chapter 7

People will start digging if I check in to a hotel in the middle of the night when I have a house."

Karishma chuckles as she finds Haseena's proposal such a ridiculous idea. "People will start digging?"

"Paparazzi is quite an observant, you know?"

"And they won't 'observe' that you are hanging out in a total stranger's house."

"You're not a stranger." Haseena whispers. "You're Karishma. Besides, you don't have your stupid cam. No one would know and you wouldn't get into troubles."

Karishma chooses to pull over to continue this conversation that slowly turns into persuasion. "How do you know I don't have a cam on?"

"You lose those two buttons." Haseena makes her observation heard like it is perfectly normal that she keeps records of how many buttons Karishma normally buttons. "Another plus is I don't have to pay. Do you know how much a hotel cost these days?"

"People will see you. It will be a headline saying that you've been to a crack house." Karishma explains calmly although she knows that she won't get the last word. (Crack house is place for illegal drug deals) "You'll be in trouble with your publicist. I'll be in trouble with my supervisors."

"You live in a crack house?"

"No."

"Then," Haseena glances over with her devilish grin. "I'll just enter a place where you happen to live in, detective."

Karishma shakes her head with a smile. It might not be all at once but Haseena's stubbornness gradually makes itself seen. It is not the kind that bothers her as well; that's a big problem. It is a kind that she is willing to give what she has in order to ensure that Haseena gets everything she wants. "You don't always get what you want, Haseena."

"Except that I do, Karishma, and you have not tried stopping me from it."

"I've tried."

"Only to make your reports look nice." Haseena looks at Karishma with such challenge in her eyes.

"Aren't you scared?" Karishma asks as she tries to look away; from those eyes and from those lips. "Someone out there is trying to get you for whatever reason."

"No." Haseena answers right away. "I know you wouldn't let anything happen to me... would you?"

"You are way too trusting." Karishma hides her actual answer behind her words but with the determined look in her eyes that shines right at Haseena, her actual answer is carefully uncovered by the girl.

"Okay, then." Haseena tries to conclude her victory but Jabba seems to have something else on his mind when he turns and starts licking her hand. "I think he is hungry."

"No." Karishma turns back to the wheel and gets ready to get back on the road to the destination she knows by the name of home. "He just likes pretty girls."

"You can just say that I'm pretty, detective."

"That's not what I said."

"What did you say?"

"That Jabba likes pretty girls." Karishma smirks.

Karishma parks by the sidewalk in front of an eight-story apartment on Wilshire Boulevard. It is a gated entrance where you need a key fob to get in. It is safe and secured. It is a lot for a detective's salary. While Haseena holds Jabba's leash and observes her surroundings, Karishma is busy finding something in the trunk.

"Why don't you get a parking spot there?" Haseena points towards the fenced parking space by the building. "Isn't it safer than by the street?"

"Who would steal a police's car?"