Chapter 25: And Life Moves On...

Their routine went largely undisturbed for a while. Apparently Suisei had a lot of training to do to get used to the idol landscape so to speak, so her nine-to-five continued on for a month or two. During that time, the two lovers had brought up the idea of Suisei possibly moving into the shrine to Anemachi, who clapped her hands and jumped up and down. She’d later clarify that it wasn’t happiness getting Suisei out of the house, but happiness that Suisei finally found someone she trusted enough. The elder comet gave her blessing, only telling them to let her know when Suisei would be moving so she could help the duo out.

When Suisei had some spare time on weekends, she’d visit for a longer time. Miko would spend a portion of the time trying to teach Suisei about her newly-acquired power. The comet had varying success depending on her stress or how exhausted she was, but she managed to fully eliminate the visions from Miko’s eyes. It was a huge relief to the shrine maiden that her lover wouldn’t wince every time they made eye contact now.

Then Suisei’s time as an idol truly began. They saw each other far less often on the weekdays, simply because the commute was too far for the exhausted girl to travel the opposite way across town just to spend an hour with Miko. They made do with making sure to see each other on the weekends. Sometimes, though, even the weekends didn’t work out.

Suisei was thankful Miko had at least kept up with the advent of technology after her parents had passed away, because a lot of the live performances she was a part of were livestreamed. It was even better because Miko ran a business that could support her buying an online ticket whenever a new concert was showing.

Thus, they were at the shrine the night after a particularly large event: Suisei’s first solo concert. Miko had actually closed the shrine early just to watch the livestream. Obviously she wanted to offer up her praise for Suisei since she’d done such a fantastic job.

They were hugging, standing in front of the couch after Suisei had just entered. The comet shimmered, eyes full of wonder and exhaustion at the same time. It didn’t even take her powers to tell that this would be one of the most important days of Suisei’s life.

Miko moved in, placing a gentle kiss on the taller woman’s lips. It was quick and chaste, but it was magical to both of them.

"Congratulations, Sui-chan. You've come so far…" Her head nuzzled under Suisei's chin. She squeezed the bluenette tighter as if to make sure she wouldn't vanish. Her hair ruffled, the telltale feeling of a kiss being planted on the top of her head.

"It's all because you saved me that day, Mikochi."

They both waited, the somewhat somber implications of that sentence hanging above them threateningly, until Miko broke the silence.

"Do you want to move in with me?"

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean? We already agreed to that."

Miko suppressed the urge to giggle at the comet. “No, silly. Do you want to move in with me?”

Suisei pulled away slightly to look into her eyes. “Like… move in, move in? Like, now?”

She couldn’t help the smile pulling her lips upward. “Yeah. Now. Right now.”

“At eleven at night?”

“You’ll be right where you need to be to go to sleep~ Surely they can't call you in the day after your first solo live.” She saw the smile on Suisei’s face start spreading wider.

“Well, I mean, if there’s no other option… But jeez, how will we move all of my stuff? I mean, I’m not packed up or anything yet~” She hesitated a sly glance at the shrine maiden.

Miko knew this was bait. She’d learned that Suisei had this thing where she’d tug on you, getting you to give just an inch, and then she’d come in for the kill. If it wasn’t that, then she’d drag you by your collar for who knows how long.

She honestly didn’t care about that right now. “Then maybe we should go now. I’ll keep your sister company while you pack everything. Besides, you don’t have to bring everything with you tonight.” She placed a playful peck on the comet’s neck, sheer enjoyment running up her spine as she felt the woman shiver.

“You’re kinda giving me mixed signals here, Mikochi. I don’t wanna leave here now~”

Miko looked up, drinking in the look of Suisei’s glazed, lidded eyes and flushed face. How far had they both come, for Suisei to be an idol and herself to be able to flirt so casually with said idol? A burst of courage set her lungs on fire, the smoke rising and practically shooting out her ears. She leaned up, kissing her way up the side of Suisei’s neck, before finally stopping right in front of her ear. “I guess we can wait until tomorrow, as long as you promise me you’ll come home here from tomorrow on.” She didn’t even have to look. She could hear the smile in Suisei’s next words.

“I think that’s a promise I’d be willing to make.”

***

That night, they lay in Miko’s bed, tangled by both their limbs and the soft pink sheets. Their faces were flushed from both the heat and the closeness, but it didn’t make them separate from each other.

Suisei’s fingers ran through the shrine maiden’s hair. They were methodical, knowing exactly where to rub to get Miko to feel most relaxed. She would spend the time giving small pecks on the lips if she wasn’t whispering sweet nothings into the cherry girl’s ear.

Miko gently hummed, a satisfied noise, before moving her own mouth toward Suisei’s ear. “I love you, Sui-chan.”

Suisei remained silent for a few seconds, just listening to the phrase repeat over and over again in her ears. “I love you too, Mikochi.”

The dreams of reaching for the stars and sakura trees whipping in the wind were no more. Now the only dreams they had were the dreams where they held each other close, exchanging kisses through the night.