Chapter 15: "What Now?"

Sunlight kissed the skin that wasn’t tucked beneath the covers with a soothing warmth. Star-filled eyes slowly blinked open. The beams of light were slightly muted by the sheer white curtain billowing in the gentle breeze. The shadow of the curtains danced along the top of the bed. A light shuffle sounded to her right, prompting her to roll toward the noise.

There she was, the pink-haired woman who saved her life the night before. She turned, jostled by the sudden noise.

“Oh, you’re awake Sui-chan. I was about to go make some breakfast for us.” Miko moved over to the bed, resting on her knees to look directly into Suisei’s eyes. A gentle hand rested on the comet’s head. “I wasn’t going to wake you until breakfast was ready. You can go back to sleep if you want.”

The heavy pull of sleep called out to her like a siren’s song. She was melting under the shrine maiden’s caring touch. Her eyes lulled slightly, but she could still see Miko’s eyes shining brightly. She wanted to make those eyes sparkle like that forever.

“Get a bit more rest, Sui-chan,” Miko whispered. “I already let your sister know you were safe.” Miko’s hand moved down, rubbing her cheek tenderly.

The hand pulled away, but Suisei didn’t want it to leave. As it left her skin, she used the last of her consciousness to reach out and snare the shrine maiden.

“Stay. Please.” She couldn’t keep her eyes open any longer, the warm fluffy comforter combining with the scent of berries relaxing her too far.

Just before she fell asleep again, a weight sank onto the bed. She felt arms wrapping around her, ensnaring her in the most fantastic way. Her heart soared, skipping to the beat of a love ballad. She leaned into the weight, taking in the wonderful feeling of being held. A smile spread on her face, lasting far into her slumber.

***

Suisei's eyes opened to a gentle pink room. She blinked the blurriness out of them only to realize that Miko wasn't where she had been when they'd fallen asleep.

Then the smell hit her. Ooh, the savory smell of frying bacon, the wafting aroma of eggs. They tantalized her. Her stomach rumbled. She hadn’t eaten anything last night. There hadn’t exactly been a need to at the time…

All of a sudden, the door to the bedroom swung open. Miko was holding a tray of food in her arms. Her face lit up upon seeing Suisei.

“You’re awake! Great. Here, sit up for me.”

Suisei complied, shifting her back against the bed frame. Miko set the wooden tray on Suisei’s lap. It had several strips of bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs, and a few slices of orange on the side. A smirk perked up on the comet's lips, a taunt on the edge of her tongue.

"American-style, huh? That all you could manage, or…?"

"Shut it Hoshimachi. I don't wanna hear it from someone who didn't even eat last night. Don't be picky and just eat." Miko's smile betrayed the slight sting her words contained.

Suisei decided to pick up her chopsticks, first setting to work on the eggs. They tasted wonderful, the warmth and slight salty aftertaste immediately urging her to eat more. It wasn’t long before the tray was picked nearly spotless. Her stomach felt full and her palette was satisfied.